TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last night while trying to close my door i broke the driver's side door handle. i pulled up too much and snap! now the handle will not go down and it has no pull whatsoever. i was wondering whati need to get at the junkyard or w/e to fix it. now the main reason i was pulling up on the handle is because the door hinge is sagging so bad the door wont close. i know i am goingot have to fix that i'll prolyl jsut have my shop do it but i need a price on all this stuff. so if anyone knows what it would run to have the driver's door hinge installed and to fix the handle i'd really appreciate it.

-zach

·
Registered
272 Posts
well new door handle and the door hindge kit from mn12performance. I think they maynot sell the kit anymore but they have a link to a web site that dose sell it. the hindge job stinks but you should do asap that much of a problem will do bad things to your rockers. the kit to fix is not too much $ but it stinks to do the work to fix them look in tech.

·
Registered
251 Posts
replacing door hinges should be a walk in the park if u have any patience.....
the door handles kinda suck cuz they have to be riveted in, but everything else involving replacing the handle is easy as well, just takes time and patience :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i am going to do the hinges this weekend most likely but the handle is what i'm worried about.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If your going to use the stock door handle's no problem just need the rivet tool for the 3/16ths rivets. If you do the 97 door handles conversion then you have a lot more work your locks will need to be changed. I had to do the handles on my 97 had no problem I got my handles though my dealer I paid $100 for the pair in color needed so get them while they last common colors are running out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
im confused here...

is the handle itself actually broken? from the discription, i figured that the rod inside the door popped out. broke the clip maybe??

if you do have to rivet in a new handle, my advise is that one person squeeze the gun, and one person hold the end real tight, or it WILL scratch up your paint.

trust me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the hinges are a b****! there is no easy way to do them and the fact you gotta pull the dash to get at the left upper.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The dash weighs about 200 lbs too. I just don't want to pull my dash to get to the upper hinges. I need about 3 days to do it. Now for the door handle, that only takes about 2-3 hours. Me, I'm slow so a little bit more.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well this is the deal the rod that pushes down when you lift up the handle is no longer connected to the lock assembly. i did break the clip. i also had an extremely sagging door. i took the car into the hsop and they replaced the door pin and striker bolt for only $50. i figured for all the grief it woulda caused me that was a good deal. now i need to put in the new lock assembly i got from the junkyard to fix the handle. i did buy the 97 door handles in hopes to replace the old ones with them once i paint them body color. i have the new key cylinder's for the door but i do not have keys for them. can i reuse my old keys?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes. When you where at the junk yard you should of got the trunk lock in 96 FMC went to one key for all the locks. Buddy of mine did the conversion on his 95 Cougar he had all the lock except the ingition took his new locks and brought the to a locksmith and had them keyed to his ingition key it cost him $40 he said it was worth it to only one key for everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts