TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Are the bolts seized and you broke them off when removing or did they break when you torqued them down?

I have used a flat-head screwdriver that has a slightly smaller diameter than the bolt, cut a small notch into the screwdriver's head and then pounded that into the broken bolt with a hammer. It left enough of an indent that I was able to unscrew the broken bolt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the bolts seized and you broke them off when removing or did they break when you torqued them down?

I have used a flat-head screwdriver that has a slightly smaller diameter than the bolt, cut a small notch into the screwdriver's head and then pounded that into the broken bolt with a hammer. It left enough of an indent that I was able to unscrew the broken bolt.
It broke off when I torqued it down. I will give that a try tomorrow

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It broke off when I torqued it down. I will give that a try tomorrow
Well that didn't work. Didn't make a dent in the broken off part. Think I am going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop and see if that can do anything for it.

Question. I just put new head gasket and ne head bolts on. The car has not been fired yet, can I re use the gasket and bolts or is it best to get new ones of both.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well that didn't work. Didn't make a dent in the broken off part. Think I am going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop and see if that can do anything for it.

Question. I just put new head gasket and ne head bolts on. The car has not been fired yet, can I re use the gasket and bolts or is it best to get new ones of both.
Don't pull the head off, if you do your going to have to replace the gasket and the bolts if you used stock torque to yield. Centerpunch that broken bolt and drill through it. Start small and get bigger. Do your best to be dead center in the middle and at the correct angle. Once you get a Decent size hole use an easy-out to extract it. The one time I did what you did, I ended up having to drill the bolt out completely, bought a 8mm x 1.25 helicoil kit from napa to repair the threads. The important thing to know is that aluminum is a pain to tap threads into, so be very careful to not break any tools while working with it. When aluminum gets hot, you break taps easily.

Before I put any engine parts back together I always clean every bolt and chase every thread into my heads. If you don't do that, this is what happens. Good luck my friend.

Chris

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would suggest left handed drill(s)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Before I put any engine parts back together I always clean every bolt and chase every thread into my heads. If you don't do that, this is what happens. Good luck my friend.

Chris
+1 ;)

...and use anti-seize compund on all bolt threads before putting them back in (with the exception of ones that need RTV)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I broke a lower intake bolt off below the hole. Can't seem to center punch it to try an easy out. Any suggestions or punt and get a new head?
I did that on an air pump pulley mount just recently. All three mounting bolts had snapped off, two came out fairly easy but one just would not come out. I used a drill bit to get a hole made and then used easy outs (I broke a few) to finally break it loose and get the bolts out. Keep at it, soak it in PB Blaster, use a propane torch, hammer and punch to loosen the bolt after you drilll an easy out hole in the bolt.

Try this before you give up and remove the head. I think you can do it, just keep at it. You will spend less money in tools than you will time and money to pay someone to remove that pesky bolt.

And use an electric HIGH SPEED drill when drilling. Cordless drills don't have the speed to drill into metal that hard.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts