TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1992 thunderbird running yesterday. It had been out of commission for a couple of months. I took it for a short drive, and realized the odometer isn't moving. I would assume it is illegal to have these replaced, and I know my car is now never going to show exact mileage again, but I would like to get this fixed. Any ideas on how I should go about finding the root of this problem?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
its not illegal as far as i know just make damn sure you have some sort of record showing the original mileage of when it went out because if you ever sell it you Have to tell them that its ben replaced otherwise you'll need a good pair of kneehigh boots and a good boat cuz your gonna be in some deep $#!+ lol

i had mine replaced (went out at 76,xxx) and i asked my I.A. if it was illegal and ^^thats what he told me.. my car is now sitting at 22,302 miles hehe my friends need never know...:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. That's very helpful. Does anyone have any idea how I might just fix it rather than getting a new one.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
In most states 16 yr old cars are odometer exempt when you sell them - i.e. they don't care what the odometer says.
There is a gear that usually goes out that can be replaced. Do a search.
I got a new SC 145 speedo, when they were available, for my 95 about a year after it went out. My odometer says the car has 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
At this point, no one cares what miles it has. If the car was 10 years newer, that would be another story.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though it is odometer-exempt, I would still like to have a working odometer. They come in handy for keeping track of oil changes. And besides, it just feels better to be driving behind a dash with fully working gauges. I don't really have any plans to sell the car. I paid $2100 for it, and I would be lucky to get $500 out of it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
There is a place that I get them from. I will try to look for them when I get home. If you want to pull it all out and send it to me I can fix it. They cost $25 a piece. There is a big one and a small one. REally is nothing to it. Pull the gauge cluster. Remove all the screws and remove the plastic pieces. Pull the speedo out. Take it apart. On the side is the gears. Swap them out and your done. Put it back in reverse order and start it up and go for a run.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
And while you're in there...

Pull the mileage gear bar and set the odometer wherever you want it to be.

Read the How-To HERE

And while you're working on things, T-Bird Joe. Shorten that signature up to 10 lines or less. You're breaking the 6TH law of the land.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I fixed my odometer by going to the junkyard and finding a speedometer/odometer with mileage that pretty much corralates with how many miles I think the car has. Why bother messing with the odometer itself when you can just easily swap the speedometer?:confused: Now I have an extra speedometer I can practice putting white face guages on!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts