TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I went to get my car alligned today and they found a bunch of crap that was broken. The upper and lower balljoint on the right side, the tie end on the left and the left spring was cracked. I knew something was bad up front as my tyres are wearing vary fast on the front.

Anyway, my question is this... If the spring is cracked at the vary top would that affect anything?? Or could I leave it alone? It's only like the first ring at the top where its practically resting closed with the top anyway.

Also, Can u buy the ball joints?? Or do u need to buy the whole control arm with the ball joint in it?

Jake

·
Registered
583 Posts
The springs... I'm pretty sure that's not something you want to leave as is... as I can see it coming unseated at the crack.. but I dunno..

The upper ball joint isn't individually replaceable.. have to buy the whole upper control arm. The lower ball joint is individually replaceable.. but it has to be machine pressed in.. from what I understand.. it's marginally more to just buy the lower control arm and replace it. I'm going on memory now, but I think the UCAs were 30-40/ea and the LCAs were 40-50 a piece or thereabout... give Dan Newman a call and he can hook you up with pricing for ford replacement parts.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Usually broken springs are a sign that the shocks are beyond worn out... and if you keep it in the car may handle a little funny or sit a little lower on that one corner. It may also clunk going in and out of driveways, etc. IMO I'd replace the front springs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts