TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a broken spring or mount on my 03 Expedition not the Tbird. It's the front passenger side. I took the wheel of to overlook the suspension and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. It started 2 days ago as I was turning left not very sharp but I would say I turned the steering wheel about 90 degrees to the left going through a roundabout. It was a clunk that felt like something disconnected. You can't tell anything was wrong going straight until I hit dips or potholes then it definitely sounds like a coil spring clunk. It also makes the sound if I turn left somewhat hard. I didn't see any part of spring broken on that side but I can tell its on that side as it gets worse when I have a passenger riding up front. The steering feels lighter and feels like I have to turn the steering wheel more than usual to turn either way. No noticeable camber or toe changes either. I've had busted shock mounts on my Tbird and strut mounts on my old Maxima and it was just clunks and rattles. I just want to know from people who have experience with broken springs or totally destroyed mounts up front, the symptoms you have when they were broken.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Expeditions are known for lower ball joints failing, and I have seen ones come in with almost a full inch of play and the car still appear to drive OK, so I would start there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add I jacked the truck up and put the jack under the lower control arm and jacked it up to where it begun lift the truck off the jack stand then rapidly lowered it and heard the coil spring kinda pop but not as loudly as driving conditions are. Everything as far as steering and suspension feels pretty tight for a truck with 131K miles. I've had bad ball joints on my Navigator and Tbird and they always squeaked as a sign to change. I would be terrified of ball joints that didn't squeak as a sign. I wanted to change the shock assemblies on both side first before the lower control arms as they are pricey. I guess I'll go with my gut and do the shock assemblies. Just wanted to know what a broken spring does to your steering before replacing them.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
A broken spring really does nothing to your steering, it will just lower your ride height a little. It also would be easy to see if the spring is broken by looking at it, and it likely won't make any noise either, so I seriously doubt that is your problem. Before replacing any parts, jack the car up and start prying on things looking for something loose, otherwise you are just throwing money away since you will likely replace several unnecessary parts before you get to the problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm positive I found the problem. It turned out to be on the driver side.
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Draetech/media/20160711_204307_zpsffo3q2sh.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Draetech/media/20160711_204259_zps7mem9kv7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Draetech/media/20160711_204243_zpslkgrr64z.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
Looks like I'm doing both lower control arms as I always replace in pairs and bending the frame back where the arm mounts. I don't know how this happened as I just got it a year ago and 28K miles ago. It must have been like this and slowly cutting that bushing down until I recently got the symptoms from it. Anyways thanks Mikey for the advice to keep checking elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts