TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my doors unlocked in my 91 Cougar! I went to drive it, stuck the key in and started it up, put it in gear and [pulled forward but when I turn the steering wheel the wheels didnt move! I can turn my steering wheel like a sailboats wheel, and my tires dont move. I can even rotate the wheel while the key isnt in the ignition. SOmeone told me that there is a pin that catches inside the steering column and its located behind the steering wheel. I was told I just needed to replace the pin but I pulled the wheel off and dont see any type of wheel. IS it any truth in this or do I need a new column? If not where is this pin located and how do I replace it?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
try looking under the dash and in the engine bay. Sounds like 1 of the factory u-joints on the steering shaft broke, or the shaft itself has come apart.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem is someone forced the steering wheel to turn w/o a car so the rack and the bolt under the dash or under the hood isnt the problem. I was told there is a pin inside the steering column somewher that locks the steering wheel in place so you can turn the wheels... and mine is broken, where is he pin exactly located and how do you take it off?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I don't know if you have found problem, but there should NOT be a pin to lock wheel so that wheels could turn. There is a pin to lock the steering wheel itself when you take the key out of the ignition.
All the columns I have seen are a solid link thru out with a u-joint under hood.
Back in the 70's, this joint was made of sewn together layers of leather, about 1/2 thick. I had the one in my 76 mustang break on me about 200 feet from my driveway. Didn't wreak, but it was interesting.
This may be the case. On some cars, the upper shaft connects to the lower shaft by sliding together and uses a bolt offset to hold both shafts together. Maybe the bolt came out and shafts slid apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts