TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i let my bro borrow the cougar and he said that checked the tranny fluid and it was low. he decided to be a nice brother and stop at autozone for some fluid. he put in that dex/merc crap. can this hurt my transmission?

i have all of my stuff to do my j-mod but im still a bit nervous to attempt it. should i just take the leap and try this j-mod?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ok so i let my bro borrow the cougar and he said that checked the tranny fluid and it was low. he decided to be a nice brother and stop at autozone for some fluid. he put in that dex/merc crap. can this hurt my transmission?

i have all of my stuff to do my j-mod but im still a bit nervous to attempt it. should i just take the leap and try this j-mod?
no it wont hurt it, definately not in a 95. The only issue is you may get shudder down the line, and then you should exchange with mercon V.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
The J-mod isn't difficult, unless you have trouble double and triple checking things before taking action.

First time I did it, it took me about 4 hours from first drop of drained tranny fluid to parking the car after the final test drive. The second time it took me all of two and a half hours.

Just gotta make sure you do your research and reading beforehand!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i have read all the tech articles repeatedly. but the automatic transmission is still a mystery to me. as far as i know it is just a magic box. and i know it makes me even more of a wimp for not doing it yet, but i dont even have to take apart my valve body. im just replacing it with one that has already been j-modded.

i think the key for me is going to be the digital camera. my main problem is that i have no idea what all the solenoids are. are there any of those that should be replaced while im in there?

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx brandon. it looks like i have a decent bit more reading to do. i have only read about half of that stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts