TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just snowed here and I went like a 1/4 mile away and my car bucked pretty good even when I went to stop it bucked. Then I started driving after going to the bank and it seemed fine. Could snow or ice have gotten into the break area? Also I am not sure if it is my imagination or not but I did smell gas fumes any idea?

96 4.6L, 84000 miles

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Without knowing any more details,

1. Spark plug misfire (worn plugs or plug wires)

2. dirty MAF sensor

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
well sometimes with some cars....ive never experienced it with my96 4.6L bird, but anyways, when you get snow/water on the distributor it will cause the car to missfire, therefore causing that gas smell, (unburnt), and once that snow melts/evaporates then you no longer have that misfire and everything is fine, my winter beater bird does that after it rains just because the distributor gets wet, and it goes away after about 2 miles of driving, but at the same time these 4.6's do not have distributors, they have coil packs, so another possibilty would be a coil pack is going bad, or it is time for new spark plugs and wires, (the boots get old and the spark arcs to the head instead of down the plug).

now that i think about it, my 96 is starting to do it when the engine is cold but once it warms up it is fine, and the spark plug wires are origional that is on my car so im 99% sure that is what mine needs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well my spark plus are fairly new, my hood unfortunately is a little bent up from an accident as well as my fender so the wqetness could very well get in there easily. i did have new wires get put it which after the accident one somehow got leaned up against a belt which cut into it a little which i taped it up and it stopped but maybe some moisture got in there? thanks a lot for the quick responses

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF sensor and go from there.

When my MAF was dirty, it ran rough when cold, but after the engine warmed up it was fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts