TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of upgrading one of my newest projects.....done messin with AOD, now thinking I can more performance out of a 4R with the TCS. ANyone have any expereince with these units? I have many questions before I contact BEControls to ask.

I figure $1000 for an awsome AOD with Lentech style VB or $1000 for a 4R + TCS and get more performance and adjustablility out of it....smart move you think?

i am jsut worried about the unknowns - like how does it program for shifts? The factory unit computer doesn't shift at MPH or RPM's - it uses complex table of load variables I assume. I want it to shift just like a regualr 4R, but allow me to program it from there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't do it! Looked at the software several years back and found much of the factory stuff missing. Plus, no safeguards in pressure controls like OEM. Basically turns a 4R70W into a nice AOD.

Mitch

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is someone on here that has a 4R70W bolted to a 351C in his MN-12. I know he used the TCS and I think he's happy with it. :D

I know I'm looking at it for a FMX to 4R70W swap into my 73 (I have to do something to get OD!! :beek: )

MitchB: Can you post some photos of the 327 twin turbo setup that you have in your 93? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Take it as you will, but if I were performing this swap I'd go the 94-95 Mustang GT EEC route. You'd need a chip on that to make it work 100%, but a chip is probably a good bit cheaper than the TCS and would give better street driveability.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Going to the 5.0 explorer EEC would be the best route if you were going to rewire I would think. Those also had DIS so it would be a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm running the TCS controller in my 5.0L equiped Ford ranger. I love the TCS controller and have been running it for approx 15K miles now (daily driven).

I currently have a 1998 Explorer 5.0L 4r70w installed which now has 125K miles on it. It will bark the tires without a prob and thats with no shift kit at all.

It took me a bit (months worth of toying) to get a really nice street profile done. I've got it set to where I think its alot better then any stock program. I can also adjust the WOT shifts at any point I want (which is based on RPM)

I also like the fact that I can quickly download a Gas saving profile if I want,, which makes it shift sooner and can start lockup in 2nd gear.

The best part is fully adjustable pressure control, I can if I want install a shift kit and have it drive like a lincoln under normal street driving and then after 3/4 throttle kick the EPC pressure up high for gear breakin shifts.

Also let it be know that being able to go into lockup after 1st gear is great for guys running turbo's as I've heard lots of guys picking up big gains from the added load on the engine.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Mark VII = EEC-IV on a 5.0 with an AOD.
94-5 stang GT = EEC-IV with a 5.0 and an AODE.
5.0 explorer = EEC-V with 5.0 and 4R70W.

The stang EEC swap is easier to do, but the 5.0 explorer EEC would likely give better control since EEC-V runs circles around EEC-IV. Only thing is the Expy EEC will require more wiring changes to accomodate. It depends on your goal.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much wireing are we talking here...I am going to have to do a MAF conversion...was going to use a A9M3. Maybe I should just do it with a better EEC like you say. Tell me more or where I can get the info.

Are there any 24lb EEC's with the 5.0?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Fox - I'm getting ready to do the same swap so am most interested in this info. Let's stay together on this and share info ...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok you guys are off on one thing, 94-95 had 4r70w not aode. and 24 lbs injectors are truck injectors and actually i will be tryign that setup on the 67 mustng, 94 f150 roller motor and using 1991 tbird eec . with a wide ratio aod

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
jk89cat said:
ok you guys are off on one thing, 94-95 had 4r70w not aode. and 24 lbs injectors are truck injectors and actually i will be tryign that setup on the 67 mustng, 94 f150 roller motor and using 1991 tbird eec . with a wide ratio aod

Ummm.

94-95 Mustangs never had a 4R70W.

Just how is a 24# injector a "truck injector"? I can think of plenty of cars they were used in.

I don't understand why you would want to do a swap like that and run it on an inferior EEC-IV processor, why not use EEC-V when you have to wire it all from scratch anyway?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with danner on that one....alot of money/work just to run an overworked AOD and (though quite usable) an inferior EEC-IV.

89Cat - I can provide you will all the info you basicaly need, I have just never done the swap and really would like some opinions - please keep in touch [email protected]

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
kd, i checked the catalog and your right , which cars ran 24lbs injectors ? 5.0 ho were 19lb

·
TCCoA Preferred Vendor
124 Posts
i am building a v8 miata with a 5.0 right now. he wanted to go auto so i am using a explorer tranny and complete engine harness. this will be a very cool swap a newer eec will give more control.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
jk89cat said:
kd, i checked the catalog and your right , which cars ran 24lbs injectors ? 5.0 ho were 19lb

as mentioned 5.0 Cobras
all 4.6 NA Cobras
Mach 1
Marauder

1 - 19 of 19 Posts