TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is so cool ... I mean Hot! /Paris Hilton voice

Three sequential stops from 233 MPH - By the third test the disc hits ~ 1,880 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Pretty sweet. Those look crazy light weight.

And I would think that the car's wheels would be hard to clean after three actual stops from that speed. But the owners of these car are probably not cleaning their own wheels.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Dan:
Did you ever see these monkeys do their own oil change to save $21K on their Bugatti?
It's a rental so the depreciated value is crap anyway.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
This is pretty sweet! Though, I wonder why it is that they make such unrealistic tests, 3 consecutive high speed tests from the car's top speed. Wouldn't the car run out of fuel before getting to top speed half way through the second run? Also, that would be a real LONG real FLAT road surface to even attempt such a test.

The real question though, how many years will it be before we begin to see 3D printed calipers making it to the mainstream market?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Gunn - that video link isn't working … but YES, I have heard some crazy oil change stories on high end cars ( like the Mercedes where you need to take the engine out of the car to change it ) .. $$$

CD's - Unrealistic ??? Ive hit about 170 MPH top speed on a couple back to back speed runs against a Corvette .. it sure sucks down the gas but its not unheard of. We did about 200 in the Cobra. The thing is, you don't HIT THE BRAKES at 200 MPH .. you let off the gas so the air drags you down first.

Depends what you mean by mainstream .. you are talking about race car technology that will probably never make its way to your average commuter car.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
No, according to Bugatti it takes 19 minutes for the car to run out of fuel at top speed. I can't find a statistic on how long it takes the car to reach top speed, but I did find that it takes 16.7s to reach 186mph, so 253mph should come up well before the 6m20s mark that would be required to run the car out of fuel in 3 runs. Regardless though, I highly doubt most of those cars will ever see top speed once in their lifetime, let alone have to stand on the brakes from top speed 3 times in a row.

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason for such unrealistic testing of the brake is to ensure that the over-engineering will work under the most demanding use to ensure performance under more realistic conditions. Yes, this is very excessive abuse of the brake but we're talking about a multi-million dollar super car here. So, no amount of over-engineering is too much.

Besides, it makes for a great video! /drool

So true about letting the force of the air decelerate the car BEFORE hitting the brakes at those speeds. That reminds me of a video of an idiot in a Lambo with a parachute deploying the chute just after hitting top speed around 200 MPH at the Texas mile. That didn't end well either.

See it here:

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
... I highly doubt most of those cars will ever see top speed once in their lifetime, let alone have to stand on the brakes from top speed 3 times in a row.
Buy one, and let me drive it on the interstate. :) Here, preferably; Jail is closer to home. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Sure thing, let’s see, a Veyron goes for $1.1M, let me just check my bank account here...rats! Only about $1.095M short!

Don’t worry though, if I ever get one somehow, I’ll be sure to come down your way with it and bail money.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You rock, dude. :)

I would not expect bail money; the way that works here is You fall out of the car, screaming that I'm a madman; that way you don't go to jail. :)

You get to keep the car, because I was Obviously insane when I passed the state Trooper at 200mph in a 55 zone. On the shoulder. While mooning him, lol.

(That's a Tradition, it is (holds hat over heart))

The hard part is getting the rights to the news footage...

>:)

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I need to start a GoFundMe for the Bugatti...

Refugee from MadMax approaches camera:

"I want to go to jail in the best style possible, for felony vehicle driving law abuse."

"Who's with me?"

:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"
-The First History Man

Not to Gastown but East we must go!

Let's Ride! :zmonkey:

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
....That reminds me of a video of an idiot in a Lambo with a parachute deploying the chute just after hitting top speed around 200 MPH at the Texas mile. That didn't end well either.

Looking at that video is a huge reminder of why a lot of hard surface is needed not just on the length of the run but the width of the track. I'm guessing that the reason the Salt Flats are so popular is because of this. Once the car started to veer off the main course there wasn't enough run out on the right or left for the instability to be managed because of the dumb choice to deploy the chute at that point. I'm guessing they deployed the chute then because they also didn't have enough length of track to let the car slow down before doing it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
CD's - Unrealistic ??? Ive hit about 170 MPH top speed on a couple back to back speed runs against a Corvette .. it sure sucks down the gas but its not unheard of. We did about 200 in the Cobra. The thing is, you don't HIT THE BRAKES at 200 MPH .. you let off the gas so the air drags you down first.
I have much to learn then!

Fastest I've ever done was 140. That was on I-15 in my RX-8 approaching the California / Nevada border. I hit that speed and then just let off the gas and did a 5 --> 4 shift before doing a 4 --> 6 shift at cruise speed.

Depends what you mean by mainstream .. you are talking about race car technology that will probably never make its way to your average commuter car.
Mainstream. Car technology that first appears in high end super sport / exotic cars that eventually makes its way down to average (or above average) commuter car.

No, according to Bugatti it takes 19 minutes for the car to run out of fuel at top speed. I can't find a statistic on how long it takes the car to reach top speed, but I did find that it takes 16.7s to reach 186mph, so 253mph should come up well before the 6m20s mark that would be required to run the car out of fuel in 3 runs. Regardless though, I highly doubt most of those cars will ever see top speed once in their lifetime, let alone have to stand on the brakes from top speed 3 times in a row.
If we're talking about the current generation Bugatti, the Chiron, it's 261MPH top speed seems to be a "two key feature" and "only in a straight line" and "if the car lets you reach top speed". THIS has a video of it claiming to reach 249MPH in 36 seconds. THIS has more info on the two key and other features.

The reason for such unrealistic testing of the brake is to ensure that the over-engineering will work under the most demanding use to ensure performance under more realistic conditions. Yes, this is very excessive abuse of the brake but we're talking about a multi-million dollar super car here. So, no amount of over-engineering is too much.
Well, if you put it that way.....I guess, lol

So true about letting the force of the air decelerate the car BEFORE hitting the brakes at those speeds. That reminds me of a video of an idiot in a Lambo with a parachute deploying the chute just after hitting top speed around 200 MPH at the Texas mile. That didn't end well either.
Got it. Don't hit the brakes right at top speed. Learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have much to learn then!

Fastest I've ever done was 140. That was on I-15 in my RX-8 approaching the California / Nevada border. I hit that speed and then just let off the gas and did a 5 --> 4 shift before doing a 4 --> 6 shift at cruise speed.

Mainstream. Car technology that first appears in high end super sport / exotic cars that eventually makes its way down to average (or above average) commuter car.

Ive hit 145+ in my 94 SC on numerous occasions ( that's as high as the speedo goes ) .. but the catalytic converters really start pinging loud from all the gas being dumped down there .. the boost gauge pegs out at 15 PSI also, so not sure how much boost its doing at that speed, but RPM's are only 3500 in 5th gear at that speed so I know it can go faster - it feels decently stable at that speed, but my tires aren't rated for more than 150 so I don't want to push it too hard.

150+ MPH in my SS on the other hand is smooth sailing - I have read that 200 MPH is possible in my car - it would just take a long stretch of road to get there, I would probably need to do that at the Salt flats.

All of the best technology has been adapted from race cars .. but I think it will be quite some time before things like 3d printed parts make their way down to your average Honda ( production cost / retail ), its much cheaper to cast when the consumer isn't absorbing the cost. Sort of like Carbon fiber ( real CF that is, not that overlay stuff ) .. its very expensive to manufacture currently so unless the cost to produce comes down substantially, you wont be seeing this type of thing at all if ever on your average car. Carbon fiber composite seems to be a more viable option currently for your high end consumer car that has trickled down from race car technology, but you wont see a whole lot of it unless the cost comes down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts