TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I am looking at replacing the worn out factory head unit and aftermarket pioneer speakers that came with my car when I got it. It also has a 6 disc pioneer changer in the trunk but I would rather have a in car cd player. I am doing this on a budget per I need to rebuild my suspension and replace my left rear wheel bearing and maybe half shafts. The following components are what I came up with after a little shopping looking for best money value. I will eventually replace these as I have my eye on a few choice audio and video components to buy down the road when I get to redoing my interior. Anyway that all out of the way let me know what you guys think.

Blaupunkt PCxi573 5"x7"/6"x8" 3-way Speakers
Speaker Location: Rear Seat Side Panels
$59.99

Blaupunkt PCxi542 5-1/4" 2-way Speakers
Speaker Location: Front Door

$49.99

Jensen IC8010 CD Receiver
Plus the following Intellicar Accessories included: remote module ,wireless headphone set , A/V source switcher , and extension cable .
$149.99

Order Total $270.96 shipped in 2 to 3 days. ;-}

If the links are broken let me know.

later,
jay

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just wondering. Why buy crap now if you are going to replace it anyways? Isn't that just a waste of money when you need to fix something thats actually wrong with the car?

Just my 2 cents..

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol figured that was coming. Well warranted too. The factory stereo is really starting to bug me (tape deck started clicking. Speaker starting to rattle) and I don't have the extra money to upgrade to what I really want. I was just asking, for the money would those listed components be wise choice per I am not a overly knowledgeable stereo guy. Side note I am currently helping a fellow member with a dash pull and heater core replacement then we will go to work on my bird. The wheel bearing will be fixed soon. Along with other stuff closer to my area of knowledge suspension, engine work, exhaust, etc etc. Looking forward to that Usually spend a total of 3 to 5 days a week helping friends build 89 street/strip stang and SlowRide with his heater core replacement. ;) These stereo components will be used prolly for around 1-2 years. After that I should be redoing my interior and will spend the money to do it right.

Later,
jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
The speakers will probably be okay but stay away from anything that says jensen on it. If you look in the dictionary under crap you will see the jensen logo. For not much more money you can go to Walmart and buy a decent sony. Good luck

G

·
well I agree with tazer..... you really shouldn't buy cheap to replace cheap. That will end up costing you more in the long run. If you want use this plan:
1) rewire the entire sound system... it will take a little under 60 feet for all four speakers with plenty of room (ie not streaching the wires) use 12 or lower guage. Also run your RCA outputs at the same time (the 20 foot ones you can get at walmart are surprisingly good quality and cheap) don't forget the amp control wire or the power wire..... I wouldn't use Monster cable... I'd use welding cable... can handle more amperage for the same guage.... cheaper too.
2) replace your head unit (I suggest Eclipse CD3421, it handles 3 rca outs and fits perfectly, looks great, and sounds great) and your front two speakers (suggest Eclipse 85741 there... can ya tell I like eclipse?) Use your factory wires for now until you get your amp.
3) replace your rears
4) add amp(s), extra speakers, subs, etc, etc, etc, etc..........
This will put less of a acute drain on your funds and will allow you to have a good stereo without having to waste money on a ****ty one.

·
8,239 Posts
Jay,

I did the install on Eric G's car, and he bought all his speakers on ebay. Thats the best prices you are going to get. The stock tbird takes 5x7 speakers.

See you guys in the fall, we'll meet up at the trails.

JH

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with krusher..

I did that to mine, I bought things one at a time untill I got it all together and then installed it in one session..

I am not sure how much the eclispe head units are but Panasonic has some nice ones also with 3 RCA pre-outs on them. Front, rear and sub, Most like Pioneer the less expensive models have only 1 or 2..

I have been using panasonic head units now for 5 years and love them,

check out bestbuyvideo.com For a head unit they have really good prices.

Ebay is cheap only if you do your research. I have infinity Kappa's and got them for $100 bux a pair, cheaper than on Ebay.

Don't buy cheap and your stuff will last. Take it from me, I have wasted like $600 on crap audio..not worth it!

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Not always true.. I've got some pretty nice American Pro VS 12" 1000w subs and they are nice. got em for 130 bucks a pair too =)

G

·
well eclipse isn't cheap... but the quality is really good. The speakers and head unit I listed are the ones I use........ I can drown out any ricer's cRAP reguardless of the bumpin bass he's got.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
krusher said:
well I agree with tazer..... you really shouldn't buy cheap to replace cheap. That will end up costing you more in the long run. If you want use this plan:
1) rewire the entire sound system... it will take a little under 60 feet for all four speakers with plenty of room (ie not streaching the wires) use 12 or lower guage. Also run your RCA outputs at the same time (the 20 foot ones you can get at walmart are surprisingly good quality and cheap) don't forget the amp control wire or the power wire..... I wouldn't use Monster cable... I'd use welding cable... can handle more amperage for the same guage.... cheaper too.
2) replace your head unit (I suggest Eclipse CD3421, it handles 3 rca outs and fits perfectly, looks great, and sounds great) and your front two speakers (suggest Eclipse 85741 there... can ya tell I like eclipse?) Use your factory wires for now until you get your amp.
3) replace your rears
4) add amp(s), extra speakers, subs, etc, etc, etc, etc..........
This will put less of a acute drain on your funds and will allow you to have a good stereo without having to waste money on a ****ty one.
Well as it looks now this is the format I will be using. With some exceptions. The parts I plan on using are as follows: Pioneer DEH-P9400MP I love the looks of it along with the extra visual features and I have had good experience with Pioneer. The numbers on this deck look pretty good also and it has three sets of rca's. Rockford Fosgate FNQ3514 5-1/4" fanatic Q Components I like Rockford's stuff. I heard em and was pleased with what I have heard. This component set will be used for the rear with some custom modification. I was throwing around the idea of installing the tweeters where the port hole lights are in the interior (as opposed to the exterior? :confused: ) For the front Rockford Fosgate HPC2205 Now for amps the god awful ugly Rockford amps seem to have good number as compared to the MTX amps I was looking at but not for sure on that yet and those MTX amps are purtty neat looking :D Sub wise Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 Not 100 percent sure if I will go with 15's though I don't need that much kick. I am also wanting to install this in a way the will look great in the car but be able to be removed without too much hassle to reduce weight when I go racing.

I will prolly replace front speakers, then head unit, then backs. Reason being I really want to get something in there to get some decent sound soon. Doing the fronts will give me good sound up there till I get the backs in after the head unit. Oh yeah the two Rockford amps I was looking at are the Rockford Fosgate Power 750X and the Rockford Fosgate Power 1050S Like I said I am still looking at the MTX amps. As far as price goes I was shopping on e-bay for these parts and found good prices some less then half retail.

Well let me know what you think.

Later,
jay

Oh yeah a last edit: As far as cables, wires, and such I gfound a few nice peices that I like Rockford Fosgate Triple-X Really like the fact that it doesnt have two wires the get tangled in the interior. looks good too. Rockford Fosgate CPRG11 Kinda expensive but I have read good things about em. To top it of in the engine compartment RF RP8071 Positive Posi and neg Clamp

Ummm After rereading this and rethnking will that amp be enough to power 2 of those 15's or 12's which is what I am thinking I will end up going with.

later... again,
jay

·
Registered
460 Posts
While the rockford stuff is a good name and a decent product, there power ratings are way off.

MTX stuff is vary good. The power ratings are dead on, if not under rated plus you get a birth sheet that tells you exactly how much power your getting.

Have you looked at Planet Audio stuff? I have a 2150 that claims only 75 watts at 4 ohm while in actuality it does 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Plus the 5 year warrente is great.

Good choice for a head unit, I love Pionner and the 9400's are just bad ***.

Hopefully you were just linking to crutchfield because of the ease of it. If not go to The Zeb and you will be plesently suprised at the cost of the head unit.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looked at your choice of speakers and I beg you to look around. You can get a lot better for the same price. Especialy the compent set. You can get a set of Focal's Polyglass for that price and I can garentee that they sound a million times better.

Another question, why would you want to put component's in the back? Mabey I read you wrong or you just got confused.

Also have you gone and talked to some of the sound shops in your area? Look for a shop that has some sound comp trophies and ask them who won them. When you find somebody who anwsers the owner, that is the guy you need to talk to.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
my personal choice is alpine, they very high quality and sound quailty, and the have a few units for under 270 or so, evenif you need to save a little longer it would be worth it. even wally world has pioneer 5x7 2 ways for about 50 bucks a pair and they sound decent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts