TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
the entire engine is different... nothing is interchangable...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the ford v6 block is stronger :D

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Depending on the overbore, you can use some Buick GN pistons in the Ford Block.

·
8,978 Posts
PCD said:
Depending on the overbore, you can use some Buick GN pistons in the Ford Block.
Thats right, I forgot about that :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
654 Posts

The real difference is the Buick is by far a superior motor as a daily
driver and in high performance applications :eek:

ThunderBird 94 said:
does anybody know the difference between the buick 3.8 and ford 3.8?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I've had a 78 Skylark with the 231 CID N/A in it and I have a 3.8L N/A in my bird. As a daily driver, my bird is better. As for performance, John Menard took the Buick as far as he could go, but they couldn't quite finish Indy, could they?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
LST MN-12 said:

The real difference is the Buick is by far a superior motor as a daily
driver and in high performance applications :eek:
That statment is INCORRECT, the ford 3.8L is actually the superior motor at the took the Buick design and CORRECTED alot of the problem areas. The ford 3.8L just got a bad rap from all those crappy headgaskets for a 5-6year span (took that long to find out it was a BIG problem but that was corrected in 96') We are now seeing BONE STOCK shortblocks go 450+rwhp/tq

·
Registered
654 Posts
rancherlee said:
That statment is INCORRECT, the ford 3.8L is actually the superior motor at the took the Buick design and CORRECTED alot of the problem areas. The ford 3.8L just got a bad rap from all those crappy headgaskets for a 5-6year span (took that long to find out it was a BIG problem but that was corrected in 96') MY point exactly :eek: If you was one of the 300 + thousand owners of bad head gaskets - Major problems like this is why Ford is loosing it's customer base We are now seeing BONE STOCK shortblocks go 450+rwhp/tq - Grand nationals have been running in the nines for over 15 years
:) ;) :cool:

·
8,978 Posts
LST MN-12 said:
Grand Nationals also have

-more years of developement
-more aftermarket

A ford v6 can run 9's also, it'll just take another year I'm sure, if that. There are a few projects in the works. Heck, a 4.3 mustang on nitrous ran a 10.774. a DAILY DRIVEN 587rwhp mustang runs 10.3's with a turbo...on the stock Ford block. No valley reinforcements, no extra head bolts, 2 bolt mains, cast crank. So you dont think a strictly race v6 car could hit 9's?

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
LST MN-12 said:
MY point exactly If you was one of the 300 + thousand owners of bad head gaskets - Major problems like this is why Ford is loosing it's customer base

How about the GM quad 4 headgasket? dodge driveline problems? GM FWD transmission problems? Every car company has a bad rep for some kind of engine or transmission they produced. It's not just Ford.
-Thomas

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
LST MN-12 said:

:zwthstpd: yeah, i still think the buick 3.8 v6 is way superior to the ford 3.8 v6, i had a 4.1 4bbl v6 that i built a while back and it was the most bulletproof engine i have ever had, i gave that engine hell and never had a single prob, and the gn's v6, well all i can say is *drool*......:D

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Thomas said:
How about the GM quad 4 headgasket? dodge driveline problems? GM FWD transmission problems? Every car company has a bad rep for some kind of engine or transmission they produced. It's not just Ford.
-Thomas
the thing is thomas with other car companies the probs may develop, but with the older ford 3.8's is when it will develop probs.

·
8,978 Posts
there are many different cars that have a problem that will develope in a matter of time. the GM FWD trannies around 90-96 were ALL like this. You just arent as aware of it because you dont visit www.ClubGP.com or www.60degreev6.com everyday. If you do you'll see those posts as often as you see headgasket posts on here, trust me. And to say the Buick has more potential as compared to the ford v6 is outrageous. More aftermarket and developement? Yes. More potential? That has yet to be seen. For potential to be measured it must first be accomplished no? I could say the 5.0 has more potential than the modular v8 but that would be unfair now wouldnt it...
-Thomas

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
yeah, but problem wise, 3.8 to 3.8, barring any tranny probs, which one has more problems than the other?

·
8,978 Posts
we werent talking about problem wise, but I honestly havent read up on any problems with the Buick v6 so I couldnt honestly respond to that question.
-Thomas

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
PCD said:
I've had a 78 Skylark with the 231 CID N/A in it and I have a 3.8L N/A in my bird. As a daily driver, my bird is better.
yeah, but you are talking a twenty year difference between vehicles, ;)

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Thomas said:
we werent talking about problem wise, but I honestly havent read up on any problems with the Buick v6 so I couldnt honestly respond to that question.
-Thomas
okay then from a reliability standpoint? ease of living with day in day out, and which one is more fuel efficient? so going on these parameters, which one is better?

sorry for being anal about this discussion thomas, but i am a firm believer in the buick v6, and when somebody says that it is inferior to the ford v6, it just rubs me wrong, lol.....:D

·
8,978 Posts
hey I never said it was inferior, because I have never seen the limits of the v6. From what Ive seen so far, the ford v6 block withstands more power. Does that mean it can make more? Not necessarily. I'm not arguing either side on that subject, because only one side has proof so far of its potential. From a reliability standpoint is a toughy too, because the GN is a lot older so it may very likely be more worn out than a v6 will be, But if you put good headgaskets and ARP head studs on a ford v6 your headgaskets problems are gone. The HG problem has been anhilated for ford v6's now IMO, as seen by the 587rwhp turbo 4.2 I mentioned earlier, running 26psi.

Heck, I own a GN....in GT4 anyway haha :D But I love those cars, I'd own one if I had the time and money to make one perfect and fast, but I already have too many projects as it is, so virtual reality will do for now :)

-Thomas

1 - 20 of 39 Posts