TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently its become obvious that a single car garage just isn't going to work for me anymore. Between my two cars and the gfs, well, it ain't cuttin it. I've been looking into a 24'x24' garage to fix this problem. "But you can't fit 3 cars in that, its only a 2 and a half" until I put in a lift, which is possible along with cost effective :)

So whats the problem? A couple things, was hoping someone here has experience in it. So here goes a short list of concerns...

1. Concrete pour. Never done it, don't know people who have. I got a slab already there that needs busted up and removed, need the new one done. What kinda cost should I expect? Yes I want it done right.

2. Cost of the actual garage. One company sells a kit, ready to build for around 8-9 grand -- down to the siding. Not bad by any means. One concern is one of the walls has to be some kinda fire-blocking wall (there's a name for it, I forget) since one of them will be within 3 feet of another property.

3. Cost of someone else building it - see:30k, yes, $30,000 to start. Maybe worth it, maybe not. Not sure, thats why I'm asking. Yes, I know they'll handle all the BS and permit crap but still, 30k is a major hit and makes my loan request a lot higher.

the last concern is on me, I have to get a permit for demo (so what) and a permit to build a new one (problem) -- I need a permit for a "higher than 15' peak" garage. So that kinda sucks.

If the +15' permit comes out to be stupid expensive, I'll make it 15 feet high and use that for some other kind of storage space I guess, but I'm kinda hell bent on a 2 story. It'll add another ~576 of living space which would be nice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
1. Pouring concrete is pretty easy. even i can do it.
2. Have you though of just purchasing materials yourself and building it? that might work.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I built my own garage. If you plan on having a lift prepare for it. Make sure you have at least 12 feet of height for the width of the lift. Leave about 20 feet of length for it. The concrete you can pour yourself,but have a professional to finish it. I paid a guy $500 to help pour and finsih my concrete (30X42). I poured the concrete 6 inches with rebar and fence. My footers had to be 36 inches deep.
Permit shouldn't matter on the height.
You can just buy my house and garage and not worry about it :)
Don't forget about the electrical, overdo the electrical. you can never have enough power.
I bought a arch steel building kit. It was easy to erect but hard to work with afterwards. If you go with something like that have it sprayed with insulation before you move anything in. Paint the roof white to reflect the sun. That makes a huge difference.
Also you need to think about plumbing before hand.
Alan

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I had a got my roommate/landlord the hook up when I had concrete poured by a pro doing a side job with 2 extra workers. So search on your local craigs list to find someone looking for the work, it worth a shot. It was a huge extra "lane" widening our driveway to 3 "lanes" wide and going the whole length of our house in line with a patio in the back corner. It was about 1600 for the whole job. Here in AZ concrete workers are struggling to find work. One piece of advice I can give is plan plan plan, don't rush a thing.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Permit shouldn't matter on the height.
it does in my area, 15' peak is max unless you get the special permit - they have to look at the area and see if it'll be a total eyesore but shouldn't be an issue, guy 2 houses down has a bigger garage than me and its over 15 easily (maybe 20') so its possible.

I need to talk to you about getting a trans put in the lincoln. I've threatened it before but soon it might be ...um, more necessary (I'm up to 130k).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts