TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what do you think would be the ideal components to making a reliable supercharger ready 4.6 2V. So basically a 2V that can support forced induction on a long term basis without sacrificing reliability. We're talking 500-600hp at the crank at the very most. Not much to ask for, since these engines can handle 400hp...on a stock motor for a little bit.

If I was going to do it, I'd probably start with an Explorer PI engine, no PI-swap onto NPI block since we don't want to increase the compression because of the supercharger. I'm guessing rods and crank are going to be the key to reliably hitting those numbers. A nice ported set of heads, I'm guessing with a not-so-stock cam and some beefier valve springs.

I don't know :shrug:

You guys tell me. I don't want to spend too much at all, just build a quality, high value, better-than-stock engine.

Let's build it under 2 grand.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
If you want it to reliably make that power, you will need a full forged bottom end, which is going to cost more than $2000 just for the shortblock, let alone ported heads and bigger cams. If you are willing to cut back to around 450hp, you can keep a stock crank and just upgrade your rods and pistons, which will help keep the budget down, but keep in mind that if the crank lets go, it will take everything else out with it.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
For that kind of a budget, I'd keep the short block stock, get Trickflow heads, and plan on keeping the boost and rpms low.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Love your definition of mild lol
+1

for sure ...

Hey guys, what do you think would be the ideal components to making a reliable supercharger ready 4.6 2V. So basically a 2V that can support forced induction on a long term basis without sacrificing reliability. We're talking 500-600hp at the crank at the very most. Not much to ask for, since these engines can handle 400hp...on a stock motor for a little bit.

If I was going to do it, I'd probably start with an Explorer PI engine, no PI-swap onto NPI block since we don't want to increase the compression because of the supercharger. I'm guessing rods and crank are going to be the key to reliably hitting those numbers. A nice ported set of heads, I'm guessing with a not-so-stock cam and some beefier valve springs.

I don't know :shrug:

You guys tell me. I don't want to spend too much at all, just build a quality, high value, better-than-stock engine.

Let's build it under 2 grand.
FYI, mild is 300 to 400 HP. NOT 500 to 600 HP.

Porting PI heads is a waste of money now that the TF twisted wedge heads are available.

You are NOT going to hit even 300 RWHP for under 2 Grand.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, my definition of mild was a bit too much, I agree. Let's say 450hp. Low RPM's, keep it under 6k RPMs, and most of the driving will be on streets and highways, not track.

Also Trunk Monkey, what do you mean I can't hit 300RWHP for under 2k? I meant 2k in just the motor, not the supercharger as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
You can build a shortblock capable of withstanding 450hp for around $2K, but you will still need to buy heads, cams, intake, supercharger, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, and beef up your entire driveline to support that power. You are easily looking at 3-4 times that amount, maybe more.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Haha, my definition of mild was a bit too much, I agree. Let's say 450hp. Low RPM's, keep it under 6k RPMs, and most of the driving will be on streets and highways, not track.

Also Trunk Monkey, what do you mean I can't hit 300RWHP for under 2k? I meant 2k in just the motor, not the supercharger as well.
What Mike said. :rolleyes:

+ Gaskets, tune, high pressure oil pump, etc.

Making serious HP takes serious money. Your car can be as fast and make as much HP as your pockets are deep. I admire your enthusiasm but you need to be realistic about your budget and potential HP gains.

You can build a shortblock capable of withstanding 450hp for around $2K, but you will still need to buy heads, cams, intake, supercharger, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, and beef up your entire driveline to support that power. You are easily looking at 3-4 times that amount, maybe more.
.... Thanks Mike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts