TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a (mostly) complete Windsor motor, with 70,000 miles, out of a F-150, with a bad head (messed up valve). I plan to build it up with a set of PI heads, and a AED blower. I was looking on Summit Racing's website, and it says that Romeo heads will not work. Why won't they work? What heads would work? Also, are the components in the Windsor block any stronger than their Romeo counterparts?

I'm sure I'll probably have more questions later xD

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A Windsor is completely different from a Mod motor. I'm not familiar with the Romeo heads you are referring to. if they are for a Mod motor that is why they will not work.

I would suggest Twisted Wedge or Ford Racing GT40X aluminum heads for your 351W.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I'm refering to the Romeo and Windsor 4.6 blocks, not the 5.0/351w motors

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I dont know why romeos wont fit on a windsor. But FWIW i have Windsor heads on my Romeo Block.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the heads are interchangeable, sounds like summit is slipping a little, just be sure to use the appropriate valve covers

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
and yes from my recollection the windsors are better short blocks

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I was looking on Summit Racing's website, and it says that Romeo heads will not work. Why won't they work?
They will work.

Summit just wants to cover their ass, and not deal with questions, like the fact you'll need romeo valve covers with romeo heads, the oil fill swapping sides, and any issues that would cause.

As for the build up, your going to use a piston that has smacked a valve?:beek:

and yes from my recollection the windsors are better short blocks
Scientifically, yes. However in practice, the pistons or rods will fail long before the mains.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
like greenbird said...

as far as pistons, windsor pistons are a little better than the romeos.. at least in the stangs. the distance from the top of the piston to the first ring seemed to be a little bigger on the windsors (at least the one's we've seen)

the windsor is a 2 bolt main like the romeo, except it ALSO has 2 studs (where the extra 2 bolts would go on the teksid blocks).

the block and the mounts need to be modified slightly

you need an 8 bolt flexplate ( i have one i can let go cheap)

you need the right valve covers (i have a set of cast aluminm windsor driver side oil fill team breed valve covers for sale for $170 shipped)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, the piston didn't hit the valve, the engine leaned out and tuliped a the valve on one of the rear cylinders

What kind of modifications are needed to the mounts and block?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
the mounts need to be modified to clear the block, and the block needs to be ground in the places where the mount STILL won't clear.. like around the freeze plugs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts