TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent quite a bit of time searching around google and here looking for some info on this topic but usually I find stuff about building a stand for Chevy or GM engines or I'm generally just having a hard time finding some good info on building a stand yourself.

So I thought I would ask around here, maybe someone has built a stand or two and could offer some tips or guidance or help me avoid mistakes.

I've got an idea of what I want to do, and in the end this will be an engine run stand. My biggest issue at the moment is how to properly measure the distance between the engine mounts so I can remove the K-Member and put my engine right on the stand.

Any tips and advice would be helpful, especially from those who have built one before. I'm just starting small right now, enough steel to build a base to put the engine on so I can roll it around and that's it, but like I said, measuring the engine mounts is the tough part.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you are building it out of steel, I would start at the motor mounts by making the mounting pads for the mounts and then somehow attach them together with a brace and go from there. It probably wouldnt hurt to add some type of 3rd mount so the engine doesnt tip forward or backward. RESET has a good idea though, you could just use a K-member or just part of one ;) Our engine no-run stand is made of I-beam steel and is freaking heavy!
-Rob

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You talking about a stand upon which to mount the block while assymbling? Buy one, it's cheaper than you can do it for. I got one that's had a 400 on it for 20 years now ... covered. It's my spare for the '77.

I once made a box like deal of 2x12 or 2x10s, had roller casters on it. Made it to cradle a BB Chevy at the oil pan lip all way around. Held a 454, then the tired 396 for a long time while I had my Chevelle. Very tough. Put togeteher with lag bolts. Two legthwise pieces and then the two end pieces went wider, rabbeted them to take the length pieces, then crossed underneath with 2x4 laid flat front and rear, bolted these to cross pieces and where they crssed under length wise pieces, added casters. 6 pieces of wood, 4 casters, lag bolts.

I cut front and rear to fit oil pan lip.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
step one go to wrecking yard. step two pull K member out of MN12. Step 3 weld a few beams to the K member for legs and you have a stand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts