TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm lizzy and new to the forums. I have a 98 mark viii. my dad has an 88 t bird turbo coupe, and I am planning on fixing it for him for christmas/his birthday and I wanted to get some opinions and recommendations. Apparently the main bearings wore out years ago and its been sitting ever since. I remember it was running when I was a freshman in high school so probably less than 10 years since it ran. Anyway, it needs rebuilt or a new motor and I'm not sure which one. My first instinct is just to rebuild the original block from the ground up and get a bigger turbo, etc. But I know it'll be very expensive and none of the state of the art 80s electronics or fuel injection system will work and have to be replaced. I was wondering if it would be worth it to put one of the new 2.3 turbos, like in the S550's, in it. Or if I should put a carbureted ohv 5.0 in it or just put a coyote motor in it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,716 Posts
I'm olde skool - I'd rebuild that motor.

Or find a compatible block and rebuild that.

Not so sure about a bigger turbo; the one that's on it is nice for that size motor.

RwP

Reactions: lizzy2112

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
and none of the state of the art 80s electronics or fuel injection system will work and have to be replaced.
I don't understand this part. Why wouldn't they work? Because you're going far away from stock?

Personally, I would just focus on rebuilding the engine and leave the induction system (turbo, etc) stock for now. Then if you decide to get crazy with a larger turbo, etc later on, make that Phase II. Plus, a better chance of actually making just the engine happen by Christmas.

You could always turn up the boost and add a bigger fuel pump, etc with the stock setup. I know a guy that tweaked his xr4ti with a bigger turbo and more boost back in the day, and he sure wasn't on a standalone or anything. Port the exhaust manifold, add a 3" exhaust, etc.

If you think that's "very expensive", it pales in comparison to the S550 2.3 engine idea, which could top $25k with the standalone ECU and tuning, transmission, etc. You would have to have an "advanced" level of automotive experience with modified cars, something that not a lot of people have. Those TV shows make it look easy, but it's not.

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I know the newer motors would be very expensive and difficult. To be honest, I didn't realize it would be THAT expensive lol. I have very little experience with hot rod builds(thank god). But that's why I asked, because I'm not sure whether or not the payoff would be worth it. The thing is, the car is so old and weathered at this point, that everything under the hood is rusted. It's been outside and there are animal nests everywhere. My dad and I started taking it apart YEARS ago, when I was like 15 probably, and so I don't even know where half the parts are at this point. My parents divorced and the house that had/maybe still has the parts in it is practically off limits for me. So it's pretty much a restoration at this point. Which is why I was considering a different motor. I'm probably going to have to replace everything that used to be or still is under the hood anyway. I do like the idea of keeping it original (I think its butchery to put new **** in classic cars). But, my dad is my absolute favorite person in the world and he has always been there for me. He deserves the best, and I don't want to just fix his car, I want it to perform at modern standards. And tbh it probably won't be done in time for christmas. Anyway, sorry for the unnecessary rambling, thanks for the advice! I probably will end up building the current engine.

Thanks again!
Lizzy :)

·
Super Moderator
5,716 Posts
Here's something to consider.

A lot of the FoxBody Mustang parts will fit; some bolt right in, some need minor mods.

I'd rebuild it as the turbo it was (a 302W or 5.0HO is just so ordinary - sez the guy rebuilding a 1991 Cougar that was 5.0HO equipped, planning on a stroker it to make it a 5.4HO)

And work on the suspension and brakes. Again, its commonality with the Fox Mustangs will help there.

And it will be a good, modern riding modern handling TurboCoupe.

RwP

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If half the parts are missing, and the car is in bad shape, I would just get another car. The Turbo coupes are not super expensive. There was one on bring a trailer.com, asking price $12,500. That site is known to be a little high. Buy a nice, complete car for under $15k and drive it immediately.

Stick with a 5-spd though. The autos are weak, and tuned to make far less power, because the autos are weak.

Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with T6Rocket, just find a replacement vehicle. There are 5L vehicles out there for $3k that would make a great baseline for future changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts