TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
IIRC, only the V6 tranny was available with a 5.0 bolt pattern. (SBF pattern.)

But, it can be rebuilt as any 4r70W for amazing HP.

·
Super Moderator
5,137 Posts
Minor niggle.

The 94/95 Mustang GTs with the 5.0HOs were available with AODEs which drive the same from the ECU. (Hence the driving of the 4R70W off that ECU.)

The 96 and up 5.0 Explorers were also either 4R70Ws or AODEs; I'm sure there's other years.

There were also AODEs behind the very last Grand Marquis/Crown Vic 5.0HOs.

But yah, I'd start with a 2002/2003 Mustang V6 4R70W to build; it's already got most of the goodies put back in. The 96 from an Explorer? Needs too many parts upgraded.

RwP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Found a built out AODE site that'll make one for me that bolts right on, same company I had previously linked. Trying to stay cheaper and as reliable as I can because of finances

·
Super Moderator
5,137 Posts
AODE <> 4R70W when it comes to durability and good ratios.

But it's your car.

RwP

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Agreed. If ET's are your main concern, 4RW70 all the way. I remember being at the track in the 90's - a guy was racing a fox body Mustang automatic, and he had to add 4.10's just to get the car to move. AOD has the tallest first gear of any 3 or 4 spd auto ever made.

Al

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only situation where AOD makes more sense is if you're making a lot of power, especially torque. Since we don't have solid axles and room for a huge amount of tire in the rear, a taller first may help with traction.

For the record, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Hoping for 500hp out of a 347 and like the idea of a "dumb" trans. Just think I may be able to build a 4R70 to hold it for less money. I think I'm borderline in the traction department...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts