TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a rusty cleveland car. If you ever have the chance to get one run, run as far as possible.

This thing fought me the whole way it's a good think it came with a wrecked 97 to rob for parts.
The subframe was a real treat I had to cut holes in the frame to get to the locks on top to heat them and get the bolts out. The lower brackets in the front never would come off I used spares.

Now I just need some rubber plugs to fill those.
This thing was so rusty here was the coilspring from the rear.

I was so sick of this subframe I decided to make it smaller.

I spent hours and hours grinding and even welding to get it clean underneath before I primed,sealed and coated the underneath. I decided to use spray on truck bedliner, undercoating is too nasty.

Here is a picture of the pumkin I built a 3.73 TL aluminum housing for her just like mine....and she better appreciate it too :)

This is just the beginning I also redid the complete rear brakes and I need to make a rstb for it while I am in there.
Alan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good pics. I'm gonna have to do that to my bird one day. Its getting pretty bad underneath now. Drove it 4 winters and ontario roads are killer on body metal. They spread calcium on our roads up here.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well i cant say that i dont know this mess, i just got done myself on the 92 car goign through the bottom end of the car, i have to sandblast the trans cross member yet and repaint it, but i did a powerwash/ light grinding/ prime paint and undercoat the bottom . fyi buy 6 or 7 cans , and its a dirty job! i will be doing the wheel whells before i get done with it too . good work alan!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should see the pile it left in the garage floor I'm sure it would have filled a 5 gallon bucket. Next comes the front section when I do the engine. She's really in a hurry to get it going ,but that project there took me about 4 days to get done. Sand,grind,sand,wash,grind,sand,weld,sand,sand,sand,paint,sand,paint,paint,etc...
What a PITA however I am comfortable with her driving the car now when it gets done. It's sitting outside with no shocks or swaybar links on it and it looks like there is a 12inch gap between the tire and the wheel well.
Alan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Regarding undercoating...

How well do you think that pickup bedliner paint you apply with a roller would work as undercoating? It's supposed to be pretty tough and looks like it would go on fairly thick. I don't really have problems with rust down here in the Atlanta area, but it sounds like it might work. Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LJGriggs said:
How well do you think that pickup bedliner paint you apply with a roller would work as undercoating? It's supposed to be pretty tough and looks like it would go on fairly thick. I don't really have problems with rust down here in the Atlanta area, but it sounds like it might work. Just wondering...
I don't see why not it's the same stuff I used I just used the spray cans because they are easier.
Alan

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i used a self etch spray can primer on the 92

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the platic-kote brand sandable primer, then primer sealer. Then the truck bed liner stuff.
Alan

·
Registered
418 Posts
awesome work. 4 days to do that? would have taken me 4 months under the stands in my garage. killer job yo

1 - 20 of 80 Posts