TCCoA Forums banner

Building the wifes beast (56k take a nap)

9K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  Boston-Bull 
#1 ·
I got myself a rusty cleveland car. If you ever have the chance to get one run, run as far as possible.

This thing fought me the whole way it's a good think it came with a wrecked 97 to rob for parts.
The subframe was a real treat I had to cut holes in the frame to get to the locks on top to heat them and get the bolts out. The lower brackets in the front never would come off I used spares.

Now I just need some rubber plugs to fill those.
This thing was so rusty here was the coilspring from the rear.

I was so sick of this subframe I decided to make it smaller.

I spent hours and hours grinding and even welding to get it clean underneath before I primed,sealed and coated the underneath. I decided to use spray on truck bedliner, undercoating is too nasty.

Here is a picture of the pumkin I built a 3.73 TL aluminum housing for her just like mine....and she better appreciate it too :)

This is just the beginning I also redid the complete rear brakes and I need to make a rstb for it while I am in there.
Alan

See less See more
#6 ·
well i cant say that i dont know this mess, i just got done myself on the 92 car goign through the bottom end of the car, i have to sandblast the trans cross member yet and repaint it, but i did a powerwash/ light grinding/ prime paint and undercoat the bottom . fyi buy 6 or 7 cans , and its a dirty job! i will be doing the wheel whells before i get done with it too . good work alan!

#8 ·
You should see the pile it left in the garage floor I'm sure it would have filled a 5 gallon bucket. Next comes the front section when I do the engine. She's really in a hurry to get it going ,but that project there took me about 4 days to get done. Sand,grind,sand,wash,grind,sand,weld,sand,sand,sand,paint,sand,paint,paint,etc...
What a PITA however I am comfortable with her driving the car now when it gets done. It's sitting outside with no shocks or swaybar links on it and it looks like there is a 12inch gap between the tire and the wheel well.
Alan

#9 ·
Regarding undercoating...

How well do you think that pickup bedliner paint you apply with a roller would work as undercoating? It's supposed to be pretty tough and looks like it would go on fairly thick. I don't really have problems with rust down here in the Atlanta area, but it sounds like it might work. Just wondering...

#10 ·
LJGriggs said:
How well do you think that pickup bedliner paint you apply with a roller would work as undercoating? It's supposed to be pretty tough and looks like it would go on fairly thick. I don't really have problems with rust down here in the Atlanta area, but it sounds like it might work. Just wondering...
I don't see why not it's the same stuff I used I just used the spray cans because they are easier.
Alan

#12 ·
i used a self etch spray can primer on the 92

#17 ·
awesome work. 4 days to do that? would have taken me 4 months under the stands in my garage. killer job yo

#23 ·
Anyone think of using POR 15 for this project. It seems that you can actually put it over surface rust. Did you guys who did this, make many holes in the bottom of the car or was the rust not that bad. You would have to make the surface completely clean(shiny) right, before coating it?

#26 ·
No I had to push it outside to do some other things while I save the money up to finish this car. I was hoping to have it done by now,but the work you saw had to be done in place of changing the engine like I was planning in that time.
I put a clutch in my ranger finally tho :)
Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.