TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on what to do due to an unforeseen circumstance.

First, a little background. I've been on the site a while now but since starting a new job 14 months ago which I was given a vehicle to use for both work and pleasure my bird has just been hanging out in the garage. Sad I know, but between work and being a single father with full custody, I just didn't have time to continue my plans for the bird...until this January.

I ended up getting a smoking deal on a new built 5.0 blok from a friend who needed some cash and since have completed the carbed build. My original plan was to fabricate whatever needed to be to run this motor in my 95 lx. Then rebuild the 4.6 and put it in a Jeep project a buddy and I were going to try.

Then the unforeseen circumstance. My Ex decided to park the 03 explorer I got her for her wedding gift on its hood. My insurance totaled it and my eyebrow raised due to it being a good year for a swap, so I basically "bought" it from them...essentially I didn't get an insurance claim check on it. My ex and my son were both in the vehicle and were basically unscathed Thank the Lord. Just minor soreness and a few cuts.

Now, considering I have an undamaged, relatively low mileage complete 4.6 from a 03 explorer I'm debating scrapping the carbed 5.0 project for the relatively simple 4.6 swap.

What would you do? Cause I'm stuck

Thanks to anyone who decides to read my novel. sorry for the length, Im kicking tires with two perfectly good motors sitting on stands in my garage and a car that really needs the attention.

Travis

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
Simple. Explorer swap the bird, and put the carb'ed 5.0 in the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
^ what he said

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
5.0 using a stand alone engine management system. Actually that would cost some $$$$$, but would be my dream build

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 4.6 in a 2wd Cherokee is a project more geared to help a friend keep his teenage son out of more trouble with the law. a long lasting project to keep him busy and away from the negative.
I've never really gotten into the 4.6/pi swaps, I dabbled with the idea before but I decided originally to go all in and do something with a 5.0 since it was my comfort zone.

this 03 4.6, as a complete motor fabrication would be very minor I'm assuming. I have to be honest I haven't searched for a completed motor swap. it never came up until the explorer showed up today in my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
What would you do? Cause I'm stuck
you should always stipulate, "what would you reasonably do within your abilities". Otherwise you get crazy answers.

That said, it boils down to your abilities. Who here besides yourself knows your exact level of expertise?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you should always stipulate, "what would you reasonably do within your abilities". Otherwise you get crazy answers.

That said, it boils down to your abilities. Who here besides yourself knows your exact level of expertise?
My abilities are decent. Money wise, by no means I would never consider to have "deep" pockets but I have enough know how and means to pay for it that either of these swaps are easily feasible with both. the 4.6 swap will be considerably less expensive from what I have researched.

My original goal of ~300 rwhp and >330rwtq is easily achievable with either set up. My biggest obstacle with the carbed motor was the transmission which I learned on this site where to get a controller. which I have. either swap is simply deciding which to drop in and complete. Neither is anything special. Will still take some time to complete the car regardless.

its a hobby project and not anything close to a daily driver.

Im just wondering what you guys who know more about these beautiful vehicles would do if presented with two opportunities.

Thanks everyone. This is helpful. Deciding on things was never my strong point...seriously. ask my ex wife she'll tell you lol

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
My original goal of ~300 rwhp and >330rwtq is easily achievable with either set up.
The stock-bore naturally-aspirated 2V 4.6 will have a VERY difficult time getting your car to 300rwhp/330rwtq unless you really step up your game and sink a lot of money into it. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
Well I have a long track-record of hating carb swaps into late-model EFI vehicles. Regardless of what power it puts out, to me that is just ruining the car, so my advice if you are looking for more power with your bird would be to go with the explorer motor. It will be a simpler swap, it will be a cleaner swap, it will be a cheaper swap, the car will have much better drivability, and while it may not matter where you are now, there is definitely something to be said for being able to pass an emissions check in any state, should you ever decide to move or sell the car or something.

As for the Jeep swap, if you are trying to keep a teenager interested and out of trouble, keep in mind that a teenager has a very short attention span, and if the swap gets too complicated with no end in sight, he will just say screw it and go back to whatever he was doing before. That to me, would be one of the perfect candidates for a carbed 5.0 swap since it won't be a wiring nightmare, the motor will be easy to work on, and he can have the truck together and running on the trails and having fun with it within a couple months, and at that point the tinkering and maintaining and upgrading it is what will keep him interested long-term.

So in summary, don't destroy a 4.6 tbird by ripping all the wiring out and dropping in a carb'ed motor, and don't waste your time trying to make a troubled teenager want to wire up an EFI motor into a Jeep as his first introduction to working on cars.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Depends on the rest of the combo, location, how aggressive you take the tune, and how far from reality the dyno calibration is.

An example we have had the same car make 295RWHP on one dyno and 260RWHP on another with zero changes in the tune but it can still run consistently in the 11's for some strange reason when similiar 300+ cars can barely do mid 12's.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
For my eighty seven cents (was two cents, but inflation ... ), I'd touch up the Explorer motor, drop it into the TBird, and put the 302 into the Jeep.

RwP

·
Registered
96 Posts
^^^^^ i'm with ralph

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I'm biased, I say put the 5.0 in the 95.....so what if carb is old tech or backwards.....some of us dont want to spend money on tuning an efi everytime we change something.....much easier with a carb.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
I'm biased, I say put the 5.0 in the 95.....so what if carb is old tech or backwards.....some of us dont want to spend money on tuning an efi everytime we change something.....much easier with a carb.
The "much easier with a carb" is debatable, as always.

But do note that you don't have to keep tuning an EFI system when you DON'T change anything ...

RwP

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
What kind of jeep and year?
And what do you mean by "built" 5.0?
Jeeps as far as I know were EFI from at least 1994, prebally earlier.
I can only say 94 due to having a 94 cherokee.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts