TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in a installing Bullitt intake swap I am working on a little pictorial on the installation of one in my 5.4L. Different engine and all but, most of the stuff will apply to a 4.6L...

There are lots of pictures so 56K beware... Since there are parts list published all over the place I decided to show how it was done pictorially... Enjoy...

Here is the link...
:D

Good reddens 95 intake!

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
definitely a fun, involved, and intimate process

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I read you used silicone hose on the EGR...I wouldn't, as silicone is not rated for hydrocarbons, burned or unburned. I found some Aeroquip 666 hose that is a teflon w/ stainless braid. It's rated for 450°, better than the silicone hose I found, and it is rated for hydrocarbons.

·
6,253 Posts
flexible..high temp hose?..... how much and where?

of course, i still can't get my egr valve off the damn tubing....

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
GreenBird said:
I read you used silicone hose on the EGR...I wouldn't, as silicone is not rated for hydrocarbons, burned or unburned. I found some Aeroquip 666 hose that is a teflon w/ stainless braid. It's rated for 450°, better than the silicone hose I found, and it is rated for hydrocarbons.
OEM hose on the DPFE is Silicone.
JL

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never get enough of that google ad! :D

Good questrion! OEM hose is silicon. I am not 100% sure but the temperature rating is somewhere around 300-400 deg F. This was a concern and we discussed the subject...

When cats fail the EGR lines tend to get hot and this hose will melt. Hydrocarbons - did not think about that one... Though braided hose may be stronger we do not have that enough pressure to really need it. But if you ask me the teflon part should give a higher temperature resistance.

The problem would be greater if the EGR tube was shorter. For example in a mustang application the EGR tube is much shorter so the heat will dissipate to the hose faster.

Since my EGR tube is a 1995 tube lengthened by at least 4" for the 5.4L engine I assumed that was risk was low as long as the diameter of the hose was small. Besides, all I had was a bunch of silicone hose... :( Given enough time copper tube with swagelock fittings can be made to do the job. Now you are talking high temperature!!!! But All I had was two days...

Now the larger diameter EGR tube was more of concern with the silicon. I have seen it used with some intake swaps but, I did not like the idea. So I went shopping...

Now this stuff can handle high temperatures!

Truth be told we spent a few hours playing with hard tubing the first day. There is a chance we could have finished in day one if we did not go brain dead (may have been the beer) and play too much with the copper tubing...

Anyhow I will post the solution this weekend...

Sorry, so many pictures and so little time... :eek:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fusion0507 said:
So what RPM did you tune the intake for? You did do runner length calculations I hope.
This thread is more about the install but i will gladly digress... :eek: :cool:

I did calculations beforehand but in the end I did not get much choice with the runner length. The runners could only be so short. Not short enough to be ideal for a 5.4L engine. There were many things that I did not get much of a choice in with the intake. When I split the Bullit intake runners the walls were extremely thin...

I burnt out two Deremels with this job!

Fast Freddie cut many of them apart and welded in plates to straighten them. As a result the insides are ruff and have some thin metal near the surface... I thought about extrude hone but they do not recommend the process for welded areas... After 9 months of playing with the intake, I basically decided that I wanted to make Summer Blast so I stopped porting and installed the puppy... Maybe another day I will take it off and port it some more... :confused:

·
11,719 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
OEM hose on the DPFE is Silicone.
JL
True, but I couldn't find any of the OEM type hose anyway, plus the DPFE doesn't see flow like the main tube.

To fit an EGR on my bullitt intake I cut the stock tube before it makes the two 90* bends. Was able to rotate the bottom some to gain clearance for the coolant adapter, and the top part I cut before the first bend. I then used a insulated hose clamp on the rear driver bolt of the bullitt elbow. It's close to being too small a radius for the hose, but it's not kinked.

·
6,253 Posts
what about running full length from the egr valve direct to the manifold and turn off the dpfe?

·
6,253 Posts
we using clamps, fittings, or what? the manifold has an interesting thread

·
11,719 Posts
I'm using insulated hose clamps so there's no metal on metal.

I have a section of EGR tubing with the DPFE tubes if you want it. Leftover from my failed attempt to make a custom EGR tube (all metal).

·
6,253 Posts
as do i.... mine is from egr to final curve to the manifold...

failed attempt as well.. bullitt intakes egr port is pretty high up

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I left the tube bender at home so we tried to bend the EGR by hand. Bend it a little. Replace the intake and see how it lines up... Bend some and repeat... Just was not working by hand. :mad:

The compromise was a combination of hard tube and braided silicone.

Emphasis was placed on limiting the exposure of the silicon to the heat. The tube was end to end in the silicone. Hopefully the limited exposure to heat the distance from the exhaust will prevent melting. Only time will tell..

More update pictures...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
John, that high temp hose won't last. Tried it several times before. Had to finally build a completely new tube and weld it all up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts