TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pearl white '95 SC rear bumper a few months back which was in great condition save for some light scratches and blemishes. I washed it using Dawn to strip any waxes remaining on the bumper and clayed the surface to get rid of the majority of scratches and paint rubs from other vehicles. Here's the hitch: There is a lot of bumpy, tar-like oily grime on the sides where the bumper would meet the rear wheel well and for the life of me I can't remove the stuff. Tarminator and a lot of elbow grease have done nothing. Can anybody recommend something else to try?

·
Registered
137 Posts
ice_nyne said:
I bought a pearl white '95 SC rear bumper a few months back which was in great condition save for some light scratches and blemishes. I washed it using Dawn to strip any waxes remaining on the bumper and clayed the surface to get rid of the majority of scratches and paint rubs from other vehicles. Here's the hitch: There is a lot of bumpy, tar-like oily grime on the sides where the bumper would meet the rear wheel well and for the life of me I can't remove the stuff. Tarminator and a lot of elbow grease have done nothing. Can anybody recommend something else to try?
what type of clay were u using? auto magic makes a medium (red) clay for more aggressive stuff.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HiFi said:
what type of clay were u using? auto magic makes a medium (red) clay for more aggressive stuff.
I've never seen the red stuff. I was using the auto magic blue claying kit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If the lumps are pretty sizeable, try using a PLASTIC scraper to knock them down a bit, then rub them with some kerosene, or you might even try some regular gas. CAUTION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
get some 3M adhesive remover. its magic on tar/oil based stuff. just disolves it and it wont hurt the paint a bit.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, just the answer I was looking for. I'd heard goof off was an option too, but some folks reported discoloring issues with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts