TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear bumper on my xr7 was hit in a parking lot, and some of the paint chipped off. would this be an expensive repair to repaint? and will the paint flake off down the road, as I seen on other cars?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Now I know some shops are different, but most will use a standardized type estimating program to figure this stuff. When the estimate is drawn up, it might look like this:

1.5hr rear bumper cover remove/install
1.5hr bumper cover repair(body dept)
2.5hr refinish rear cover(paint dept)
If theyre quick, they might catch on that its a tricoat and add:
1.0hr tint test panel(called a letdown panel for tricoats)

Dont concern yourself with what they use for flex or adhesion, just get a good warranty, and hold them to it. red tricoats are surprisingly easy to match and most paint systems will have a two-stage equivalant that is a factory approved match to the three stage red. its the white tri-coats that are a pita to match. Cost might go up if the bumper is cracked or deformed, but only by like one hr.
good luck with the fix

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
modbird said:
Now I know some shops are different, but most will use a standardized type estimating program to figure this stuff. When the estimate is drawn up, it might look like this:

1.5hr rear bumper cover remove/install
1.5hr bumper cover repair(body dept)
2.5hr refinish rear cover(paint dept)
If theyre quick, they might catch on that its a tricoat and add:
1.0hr tint test panel(called a letdown panel for tricoats)

Dont concern yourself with what they use for flex or adhesion, just get a good warranty, and hold them to it. red tricoats are surprisingly easy to match and most paint systems will have a two-stage equivalant that is a factory approved match to the three stage red. its the white tri-coats that are a pita to match. Cost might go up if the bumper is cracked or deformed, but only by like one hr.
good luck with the fix
<P ALIGN=CENTER> Yeah, and what he said too.

Thanks modbird ;)</P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts