TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ive been slowly losing oil through the valve seals, but I have a new problem.

If I drive for one hour, pull into a parking lot and idle for 15 minutes, then leave, when I pull out I get a HUGE blue cloud. LOTS of oil smoke, then it seems like its gone again.
Car has topped 200,000 and I drive 150 miles/day getting to work.

Question is how do I tell if the valve seals got worse or if its the rings or something. this thing is drinking oil like a fish

if I wanna try thicker oil, what is good to use?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i use 20-50 and it only starts to smoke when it is close to oil change time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Mine also is doing the same thing. Problem is, I won't have time to break into the engine until summer comes around.

So yeah, guess alot of my money is going towards oil now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
razzibird said:
i bet with 20 50 your gas milage goes down like a mofo though.
the gas milage did not change. i still got just over 600kms to a tank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Daniels9424cs said:
yep, run a heavier oil, or run a little Lucas oil treatment, won't solve problem but may help...
Lucas?
Naahh.
I'd rather use peanut butter than Lucas!
The smooth kind.
Not the crunchy.

Don't use Lucas.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Daniels9424cs said:
yep, run a heavier oil, or run a little Lucas oil treatment, won't solve problem but may help...
The lucas will work. I used it for 6 months before the PI swap. NO issues what-so-ever. Stopped my oil consumption in it's tracks.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Yup, I have the same thing going on too. I burn about a quart every 1200 miles and whenever I stop at a light, when I take off again there is a big blue cloud behind me. That lucas is good stuff though. When I first got my car at 165K it burned/leaked a quart every 400 miles. I put the lucas in and it went to a quart every 800 miles. I replaced the rear main seal when I did the trans swap and now at 204K its a quart every 1200 still using the lucas. I just can't justify the work involved to replace all the valve seals on a motor that old. Eventually it will get a whole new motor, but until then I'd rather just keep adding oil.

Mike

622 Posts
the oil change place i go to has free top-offs between oil changes. so i took mine to them 1500miles after an oil change and they put 2 quarts in for free. :) i plan on another 3-4 quarts before my next oil change. i leak a little (rear main i believe), i also continuously burn.... '95 with ~192000. 10/40 maxlife

seth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts