TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days, the car developed a misfire at start-up. I just figured one of my plugs was bad (fouled). When the car warms up, it's all ok. But this morning I noticed that the car was puffing quite a bit of white (blue-ish) smoke. Also, I noticed that there were little black dropplets being flecked out of the tail pipe, but I don't know whether it is oil, or simply condensation mixed with dirty exhaust piping.

I was getting ready to go for a road trip in a bit, but I will postpone it until I know if I should take the RX-7 instead of the T-Bird.

I just changed the oil in the car a couple of days ago, and I may have over-filled it a bit-- I don't think this has anything to do with it, but could it? The car is running plenty strong, but I am worried about aggravating the problem.

Any thoughts?

PJ

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i noticed that sometimes i used to blow out some steam and have some dark water dripping from the muffler. that was befre i changed my exhaust and the water was prolly dark because of the old pipes. heres one way to tell if its just condensation, did it go away after a while? -greg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check the oil level and see how much over it is. Get ahold of a compression gauge and test each cylinder. If you have bad rings, it will show up. Does your car have an oil pressure gauge?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I took the car to Sacramento. It drove like a champ-- I'll see if it acts-up in the morning. I think the black stuff is just dirt and condensation. I overfilled the oil quite a bit... about 1/2 inch past the word "max." Maybe that's all that's happening... maybe not. I will do a pressure test when I get my headers replaced.

K... Thanks, guys.

PJ

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the only way i think you could burn oil on your new engine is if you over-bored the cylinders, but you woulda seen that right away. youdid replace most everything on the motor, right?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine was never dissasembled passed removing the oil pan and upper intake. I think maybe overfilling it with oil may have something to do with this, but I can't figure out why I have the misfire when it's cold. It's like the car sits overnight and one of the cylinders floods with oil. Give it a few revs and it's good to go 'till the next day.

Besides the excess oil, the only thing I can think of is that there may be some damage to a valve or something resulting from my postponing of updated exhaust. The stock 3.8 exhaust is way too restrictive, and you can tell simply by hearing all of the air WHOOOSHING out of the tail pipe under throttle. I am still waiting to receive my downtubes, but now that I am in Sacramento, this will all have to wait till I head back south.

So, either over-filled oil, or restrictive exhaust damage... Hmmm. I'm driving with the cut-out open from now on.

PJ

PS-- Totally off topic, but I drove my Father's WRX yesterday-- that is one awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
well...if your burning oil then it should get below the max point in no time...so i don't think your burning oil...

best way to check if your burning oil is with your nose...sounds dumb but it works...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This may be late in coming but.... if it was all stock I'd say this sounds like an Idle Air Control valve or related problem. If one of the cylinders was filling with oil you'd see it on a plug and I kinda doubt it would fire even after a while. Valve damage should be evident at speed???? You said you drove it a ways right?

Just my 2¢... and I'm not much of a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem has stopped without me doing anything. I'm gonna say that this was caused by overfilling the oil... I feel dumb, but relieved.

PJ

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Could've just been a "computer relearn" issue? No reason to "feel dumb".... sometimes stuff happens. Let us know if it comes back...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts