TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two days ago i was sitting at a drive thru and i noticed a fair amount of smoke coming out of my tail pipes. oil pressure was steady, car wasn't chugging or anything, rpms were good. once out of the drive thru i put my foot into a little to see if it blew out more (only for a split second) and sure enough a thick cloud of smoke came out the back. i pulled into a parking space and it had a raw fuel smell to it. placed a white peice of paper to the tips and got black speckles. i drove it to the parts store, and it didnt do it again all the way home.

Thinking along the lines of a rich fuel condition, and my o2 sensors having about 80k on them i went ahead and replaced them. the y pipe is relatively new with 35k on it so i doubt the cats are clogged up yet. i also went ahead and swapped in a new coolant temp sensor as i've had soemthing similar happen with GM car when it went out.

i took the car out for some drive cycles this weekend and it seemed well. went out this morning, and had the same thing happen, but once i started driving it went away. When i got home from work i let it sit at idle for a short bit and th e same thing happened again. but this time i smelled the paper, and theres definately an oil aroma to it. so i let the car cool off for about 30 minutes and got up under it to check for leaks. ran some stuff through it so i could use my black light later tonight and drove it around for about an hour then shut it off and checked for leaks. found nothing.

checked the coolant, no mix. replaced the oil, no ovaltine in there either.

im kinda stumped as this just started happening after a long drive from d.c to memphis back to dc (approx. 1800 miles) and not having any issues whatsoever and i was logging an average of 26mpg to and from.

i was thinking perhaps just a tank of bad gas, but i dropped some gas treatment (lucas) and a half tank of 93 octane after running the other tank to E and i still got the same outcome.

any ideas would be helpful as between 12 hour work days and running around chasing after two pups i just rescued my brain is about shot for ideas.
Travis

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
EEC went south and is hanging an injector open. Get another 94/95 4.6L EEC. Its a common problem among 94/95 cars....trust me/us this has been asked about bazzillion times over the past 7 years.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Same thing happened to my fathers 97 windstar. ECM was holding 1 injector open.
Replaced the ECM and all was well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doh, that would make sense. i never got any codes or anything like that. just looking through my search i just breezed through. musta been 3 or 4 threads about it with the same conclusion/fix.

thanks guys, sorry i jumped the gun with dumping the thread search. thanks a million.

ill get that swapped out this weekend and see how she does.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a few hours yesterday to drive the car around and check over things. the smoke has a blue tint to it, so i was thinking valve seals. changed the oil and used 1 quart of the lucas oil and the smoking seems to have stopped.

i noticed though that when it was smoking the car would bog down for a moment then puff out a bunch of smoke then kick right back in. do you all suppose the ECM is still hanging an injector open on me?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
You also might want to check and see if the PCV valve or hose is clogged.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You also might want to check and see if the PCV valve or hose is clogged.
i replaced that before i left when i was doing my reg. maintence prior to the long trip. it wasn't too clogged up, but figured i'd swap it all out. It was the first peice i checked when i got home the other day, i forgot to mention that in the first post.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Bad computer would be constant smoke and would run bad. This sounds like bad valve seals which is a common problem with the 94/95 cars. They will continue to run for a long time like that just have to keep the oil up.

-Miller

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad computer would be constant smoke and would run bad. This sounds like bad valve seals which is a common problem with the 94/95 cars. They will continue to run for a long time like that just have to keep the oil up.

-Miller
this is exactly whyi tried the lucas stuff first with the oil change. im was losing around a 1/4 quart of oil between changes before this started. this last change was closer to a full quart. im gonna give the lucas stuff about 2k miles before i change it again to see how much i've lost.

thanks for all the ideas fellas. i inherited this car early this year and i've wanted it from my grandfather since he got it in 95. I dont wanna break her due to any negligence on my part. i really appreciate it.

Travis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts