TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, I have done searches- and only come up with people saying "bleed the coolant system" but not how to do it. I know usually there is a bleeder valve on the top of radiator, but I don't see one.
I'm guessing (hoping) there is a bunch of air in my system because sometimes the heat will shut off for a second, then turn back on, or it will not work for at least 5 minutes of driving.
I can get the air out of the system?

She threw a code today too- I'm at work, so I'll use the Xcal2 when I get home to find out what her beef is.

Thanks guys

·
8,239 Posts
just leave the heater on defrost high until it bleeds the air out itself.

Keep an eye on the level, you will need to add more coolant/water mix as it bleeds the air out.

It usually takes about a day of regular driving to get all the air out.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it solely defrost that will bleed the system? If so, how?

Anything else that could/would cause this?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Did you follow the proper refill procedure?? I've used this procedure 3 times and never had to "burp" any more air from the system once it was full.

Courtesy of Rolling-Thunder:

To refill the 4.6 T-Bird with anti-freeze, you do the following.

Remove T-stat and heater hose where it connects to intake on Pass. side.

Fill reservoir with coolant until coolant runs freely out of both openings.

Put hose and T-stat back on engine.

Start engine, heater to max., and continue adding anti-freeze to proper level on reservoir tank. Put cap back on.

The Chilton's and Haynes both have it wrong for the 4.6

The owners' manual is right on.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
shoot i just fill the reservoir till its at the full mark then run it for a little while then let it cool down and fill it to the full mark again after its been through the system. Never had a problem with it not bleeding out. Heck when i did my intake swap i did the same thing :)

-Matt-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts