TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to find the source of a funny sound earlier, I discovered this:

Just how bad is this? I have no idea how long it's been this way. Is it doing Bad Things to keep driving with it like this? I'm long overdue for a suspension update anyway, but I'm broke so it won't be soon. Suggestions?

Now, the funny noise I was trying to find. At low speeds, I hear what sounds almost like a popping. It's as if a loose nut was rolling around in the plastic lug cover of the tire. I hear it about once every full spin of the tire, and as far as I can tell it only comes from the front driver's side. I'm clueless as to its origin. Could it have anything to do with my busted spring? Thanks, y'all!

Joe
1994 4.6 XR7

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Both springs on the left side of my car were broken, but a little closer to the bottom. I have replaced the rears with 97 Sport Springs, and shocks. The fronts are going to be done soon, but I haven't had time to get to it. I have not had any problems with the springs being broken, and have put 162,000 miles on the car.

The popping sound could be a worn ball joint, or even a worn strut rod bushing.

Give everything a good once over.................

EDIT: The springs have been broken for at least 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i second the ball joint for the noise. i had a broken spring in the rear of my 90 bird, drove like that for over 10K miles, no issues. on the front it may be another story.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hrm... Since I know nothing about suspension, is this a serious issue? I first noticed the sound about a month ago. How expensive is this to replace, and is it something I can do myself or should I leave this to someone who knows what they're doing? Thanks, again, y'all.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The springs and shock combo are not as easy as the rears are to change.
You can do it easier, if you pay someone to pre-assemble the spring and shock.
The cost if you do-it-yourself would be around $350 total for both sides.

The ball joints on the bottom can be changed, providing you have the proper ball joint removal tool. The cost ( I think) is around $85, if you do it yourself.

The strut rod bushings are a pain to change, but it doesn't require any special tools.
Cost: between 23 and 75 dollars per side, depending on how many bushings you need to change.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I would replace it. if you ball joint out right fails, you could go careening over a bank, into a guard rail, or even worse, into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever it is that's broken, be it a ball joint or whatnot, I will most certainly replace it. I hate having busted stuff. Is there any way I can determine if it is broken, aside from buying a new one and seeing if it's better?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
To check the balljoint, first look at the rubber boot seal, and see if it looks intact.
There shouldn't be any cracks in it, or metal sticking thru it.

Next, see if you can pry between the lower control arm and spindle, right next to the ball joint. There should not be any play when you do that.

If in doubt, post a picture, or have a mechanic buddy check it for you

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, thanks everybody for your help. Tis much appreciated.

Now, when I first took the tire off the yellow bolt was not aligned with the valve stem. I put the tire back on with the bolt and stem lined up right, and I no longer hear the noise. Ideas? :)

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
117 Posts
GreenBird said:
I would replace it. if you ball joint out right fails, you could go careening over a bank, into a guard rail, or even worse, into oncoming traffic.
if you look at the way the front is made, and hear some of the stories of upper ball failure, i want it to be strong, especially how i drive. Cant have the front brake under load, it would be bad.

i couldnt drive on broke springs either.

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Serio said:
First, thanks everybody for your help. Tis much appreciated.

Now, when I first took the tire off the yellow bolt was not aligned with the valve stem. I put the tire back on with the bolt and stem lined up right, and I no longer hear the noise. Ideas? :)

Thanks,
Joe
Were the lug nuts all torqued properly before you took them off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts