TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This hasn't been discussed before, and it's kinda what I'm thinking of doing.

Unfortunately - my 92 XR7's body's days are numbered. The rockers are rotten underneath the car, and some other areas are starting to look bad too. Not to mention a dent in the rear 1/4, creased door edges (walls? I didn't do the damage), and alot of worn out suspension components.

I won't fix it up, because fixed body jobs always start over again. And since alot of parts on it will be replaced with HiPo parts anyways - I should just sell this 92 and start with another one.

Which leads me to this idea. I want to find a 89+ Cougar in a junkyard, the only good parts have to be the body. There should be a few of them that are worn out by now, and aren't banged up, right? Then it's a buildup with new HiPo parts, and the powertrain and interior from my 92 - and a paint job.

How viable is this idea? I have the money and the means to transport it home, but have to find one.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I'd search the south, away from the coasts.

Usually junkyards will not sell a body unless you sign a waiver saying it will only be used off-road. At the very least You'll have a salvage title.

As for the cost....I guess it depends on how much it is worth to you, and have much you have to spend.

I'd say $1000 would not be unreasonable for a chassis in such condition. Also, if you go with a 91-93, you'll save yourself alot of trouble at the motor vechicle and emissions departments.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Probably better off finding a car actually owned by someone with a blown engine or tranny or both, you ought to be able to pick up something like that pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
Probably better off finding a car actually owned by someone with a blown engine or tranny or both, you ought to be able to pick up something like that pretty cheap.
Thats a good idea. If its just a blown engine you probably wont have a salvage titel for swapping a engine. If its straight from the junk yard you probably will. There is enough 89-92s though that are decent shape over all for cheap prices out there. Might just want to look for a better condition one over all and just ditch the one you got now if its that bad. Just a thought.
Good luck
-Shawn

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice - thanks guys.

I think it's probably better to find one privately, but they'll be harder to find. Who spends money advertising a $500 car that doesn't run anyways? They are out there though, I know of MANY MN12's in my area alone that have dead powertrains - unfortunately EVERY one is rotten.

My brother just sucessfully found a Mustang (Fox body) from the Olklahoma (sp?) area - when he gets back I'll have to find out if there were any MN12's in the area.

Oh yeah Shawn - my 92 isn't all that bad, but it's certainly beyond repair - once they start rusting, you can't stop it. And I don't want to pour money into a body job for it, only to have it continue rusting out on me. It's just those damn rockers!!! What a crappy design...

Anyways - I plan on simply swapping parts over, get the 92 running (with a 3.8 or something), and sell it for the costs of getting a rust free southern body going :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts