TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my birthday is coming up, so some extra cash flow will be coming my way. #1 thing I want to do is invest in tools so I can work on the car! The main tools I am looking at is..

-Car jacks (and something durable that will boost the car up onto these 4 jacks.. I doubt the one that came with the spare tire is a good one.)
-Torque Wrench (I know there are 2 kinds, which kind should I get?)
-Safety glasses
-and those things you can drive your 2 front wheels up on.. Not sure exactly what the name is.
-Wire strippers (saw an add on the Powerblock this morning for wire cutters called Quik Strip those any good? 2 for 20 bucks and S and H)

I think I got some good basics.. I want to get these things so I can truly work on my car without having to bum tools off smoeone or come up short right in the middle of something. Sockets aren't a problem. I would like recommendations for quality stuff if possible, because I don't want to cut corners at all with cheap quality tools!

Thanks again for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

-Car jacks (and something durable that will boost the car up onto these 4 jacks.. I doubt the one that came with the spare tire is a good one.) no, the jack in your trunk is an emergency jack. It should only be used in one.
-Torque Wrench (I know there are 2 kinds, which kind should I get?) I have the dial style and a T bar style. I love them both, the T-Bar for items that require less torque and the Dial for larger items (lug nuts, head bolts, etc)
-Safety glasses good choice. Seen too many accidents without them
-and those things you can drive your 2 front wheels up on.. Not sure exactly what the name is. Ramps. I have tried a few times to use these, but it can be a pain in the arse with rear wheel drive. On my garage floor, they have a tendancy to slide, making a god awful screeching noise. I suggest using jack stands instead
-Wire strippers (saw an add on the Powerblock this morning for wire cutters called Quik Strip those any good? 2 for 20 bucks and S and H) Never used these, but have heard good and bad about them.

Thanks again for your help! Your welcome

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i like the click type torque wrench, as long as you keep it calibrated i think they are way better. and i do agree about the ramps, just use the jack stands, i feel safer under the car with it on jack stands anyway. sears usually has some good deals, you can get a jack, jack stands and a creeper for like 100-150 bucks. safety glasses are a really good idea, even though im bad myself when it comes to using them. i dont know about those new wire strippers, i havent used them myself, but it couldnt hurt to try. and make sure you let the rest of us know how they work!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no clue how torque wrenches work also... Do they come with an instruction manual? I've never even <b><i> seen </b></i> one in person.

Should I get both types of Torque wrenches? (What's the general cost of a T-Bar and Dial Torque wrench)

(I have seen Torque wrenches on Horsepower TV however)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
when i was at sears this week-end they had one for around $60. i dont really care for craftsman tools but they are lifetime warranty. if i had my choice it would be snapon and you can price them on their site. basically the difference between the two is the t-bar has a scale at the handle end with a needle that moves when you apply torque. the dial has a dial at the handle end that you dial up the torque value you want and when you apply that torque that handle "breaks" , or clicks to let you know. i dont think they come with any instructions but they are really easy to use. well happy shopping!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I had text here, but Someone beat me to it... lol

Hear at the images of the Craftsman brand, but I agree with fordfanatic, get Snap-on, or MAC

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those work with regular sockets?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
yup... but remember that most of the work you will be doing will require foot pounds of torque, not inch pounds (I made this mistake when doing my first headgasket job... but it ran!!! lol

·
Registered
620 Posts
Litning said:
I had text here, but Someone beat me to it... lol

Hear at the images of the Craftsman brand, but I agree with fordfanatic, get Snap-on, or MAC.
In my opinion; if you will only be using these tools ocassionally, then MAC or Snap-On are overkill. Yes, they are awesome tools, but way too expensive for the non-professional. I personally use Craftsman.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in with my experience.....

The ONLY Craftsman torque wrench with a Lifetime Warranty is the T-Bar style. The Click type only has a 90 day warranty, or some such. :thumbsd:

Not sure of the Snap-On. Harbor Freight Tools has extremely cheap prices, But with torque wrenches - you get what you pay for.

Lastly - torque wrenches are for tightening - breaker bars are for loosening. :)

Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
coleman said:
Just thought I'd chime in with my experience.....

The ONLY Craftsman torque wrench with a Lifetime Warranty is the T-Bar style. The Click type only has a 90 day warranty, or some such. :thumbsd:

Not sure of the Snap-On. Harbor Freight Tools has extremely cheap prices, But with torque wrenches - you get what you pay for.

Lastly - torque wrenches are for tightening - breaker bars are for loosening. :)

Good Luck,
Mike
Breaker bars are for loosening? Will I need one of those too if I am going to be using the torque wrench?

So what price is considered Overkill for a Torque wrench? I found some on ebay (Snap-On) for around $60-$100; however, I am seeing sizes such as 3/8, 1/2, 1/4, etc.

Which one would be the most useful??

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Yes. I think what you need to do is explain what you want these tools for. You might be planning on buying equipment you DON'T need.

In my tool box
Sockets (ranging from 1/4" drive to 1/2" drive)
3mm to 20mm
3/32" to 1 5/8"
Swivel Sockets
Woble Sockets
O2 Socket
T-5 to T-55 Torx bits
Ratchets
1/4" Drive
3/8" Drive (regular, spinner, stubby, flex head)
1/2" Drive
3/8" Breaker Bar
1/2" Breaker Bar
Screwdrivers
Multimeter
Strippers (for coax and wire. no blonde yet)
Tape measure (25')
Cordless and corded drill
Nudie Calander
Dentist's mirror (for looking for that damn bolt you lost behind your engine)
Magnetic pick up tool (for getting that bolt back)
drill bits (wood and metal)
utility knife
gasket scraper
die grinder
hammers

I am sure there is more, but it's at work and I have had too many beers to think anymore... lol Most of these tools you will not need for minor repairs, but it all depends on your wallet, needs and wants. I only use about half of these on a constant basis, but having the others are nice when you need them.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay.. here are my reasons.

Jacks: No one in my family has them, with jacks I can do oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. (I used to change my oil by parking my car in the ditch, which was a pain). I can also do the transmission cooler modification and the dreaded J-Mod if I can get my car up off the ground.

Torque Wrench: Anything involving Manifolds I may eventually get into. That lofty PI head upgrade, and possible work on brakes, and anything that may need a torque wrench!

Safety glasses: Hey safety first, right?

Wire Strippers: Mods such as the transmission cooler, and anything involving stereo equipment. It's just something we need around the house anyways, the old pair is nearly rusted and the blades are definitely dull.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well i just checked on the snap-on website and you probably dont want to pay 200 bucks for a torque wrench. i would say for just tinkering around the garage craftsman tools will be just fine. atleast if you break them you get them replaced no problem. oh and i just got a breaker bar for loosening the bolts on my driveshaft and it cost like $20 at sears.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet. Thanks for the help FordFanatic.

Also, thanks to everyone for their advice / help!

·
Registered
123 Posts
When choosing a torque wrench you need to look at the torque values for the type of work you plan on doing and try to find a wrench that will give you decent coverage without going to the extreme settings for the particular wrench.

For example, if you plan on tasks that need torque values between 50 and 90 ft/lbs of torque then a torque wrench that has a range of 20-100 ft/lbs would be a decent choice. If you regularly need to go over 100 ft/lbs then choose a different wrench.

I've managed to find uses for three sizes over the years:

3/8" drive 40-200 inch/lbs
3/8" drive 20-100 ft/lbs (more or less)
1/2" drive 50-250 ft/lbs (more or less, I know it goes up to 250)

I definitely use my 3/8" in/lb wrench the most, but the 1/2" model is nice for torqueing lug nuts, and the inch/lb model is helpful for more things than you might imagine, like doing a j-mod on the transmission.

Marcus

·
Registered
56 Posts
i like my s&k torque wrenches but if you aint using them alot ive seen some pretty cheap ones in harbor freight before

·
Registered
443 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Okay.. here are my reasons.

Jacks: No one in my family has them, with jacks I can do oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. (I used to change my oil by parking my car in the ditch, which was a pain). I can also do the transmission cooler modification and the dreaded J-Mod if I can get my car up off the ground.

Torque Wrench: Anything involving Manifolds I may eventually get into. That lofty PI head upgrade, and possible work on brakes, and anything that may need a torque wrench!

Safety glasses: Hey safety first, right?

Wire Strippers: Mods such as the transmission cooler, and anything involving stereo equipment. It's just something we need around the house anyways, the old pair is nearly rusted and the blades are definitely dull.
If you are wanting to do head jobs (no pun intended) on your car you might want to consider buying an engine hoist, or Cherry picker as we call it down south. You can get them, and engine stands pretty cheap to pretty expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts