TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on some motors you can get a shorter belt and bypass the AC compressor and on some you can't depending on how it all winds around everything. Can we do it on our 3.8s? If so what belt can we use?

Thanks!

Jake

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think there is a specific belt that bypasses the compressor. You would have to run a string around the pulleys (make sure the direction of rotation is correct) and see if a parts store can get you close.

As I remember, older Mustangs had a pulley and bracket that you could install on the engine to replace the compressor and still utilize the stock belt. I am not sure if this would work on an MN12, but like most problems, if you throw enough money at them they go away.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
didnt summit sell a compressor delete kit, with a belt and everything?

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
Post up a pic of a 3.8s belt routing, and I will figure out a way for you to re-route the belt bypassing the AC.

Mike

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thx if they make a pulley kit there must not be a way to re-route it like you can on a 4.6L and I can't find any pics of the front of the motor anyway. I'll look into a kit.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
MN12BIRD said:
cool thx if they make a pulley kit there must not be a way to re-route it like you can on a 4.6L and I can't find any pics of the front of the motor anyway. I'll look into a kit.
They make a 4.6L kit too, yet all you have to do on a stock 96-7 Bird 4.6 is use a 79 inch belt. but yeah, looking at that diagram I don't see a way.

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
Ok, its hard to say if this will work or not, but here is what I would try. Starting from the crank, go left around the tensioner, then up to the top of the idler, so that the grooved side of the belt is riding on the idler pulley, then around the alternator and down to the power steering pump, the up and wrap around the water pump, then back to the crank. Without seeing the actual front of the engine I'm not sure if it will work or not. You might not have enough clearance from the water pump pulley where the belt goes from the tensioner to the idler. If you can make it past there, then it will work, but if not you will need the delete pulley.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
MN12BIRD,

Here's what you need to do. I did this exact thing this summer because my compressor locked up. It's been fine ever since.

You can remove the idler pully up next to the alternator. Then remove the belt tensioner located underneath the AC compressor. You can then put it in place of the idler. You'll need to drill a hole in the idler pulley bracket to allow the dowell from the belt tensioner to fit properly. Then you can use a shorter belt and completely bypass the AC compressor and where the belt tensioner used to be. You'll need a belt around 57.5" long. You might want to get this first because these are usually a special order item for a 6 rib belt. However, as a temporary belt you could use a 5 rib belt of the same length. You'd need to tell the guys at the counter exactly this, though, because they may not understand what you're trying to do.

I did this about 6 months ago and it's been running great ever since.

Email me at [email protected] if you need more details.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
just take off the AC compressor, tensioner assembly, and the entire passenger side accessory bracket off. Then route it with a shorter belt, and like Tiberius said, remove the idler assembly and drill a small hole for the tensioner assembly dowel to fit on the driver side accessory bracket, install the tensioner assembly, and put on the belt. Worked for me :)

-Thomas

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn yes it did. looks so much simpler and clean too! nice engine bay!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thomas said:
just take off the AC compressor, tensioner assembly, and the entire passenger side accessory bracket off. Then route it with a shorter belt, and like Tiberius said, remove the idler assembly and drill a small hole for the tensioner assembly dowel to fit on the driver side accessory bracket, install the tensioner assembly, and put on the belt. Worked for me :)

-Thomas

did you get your altenator powdercoated??? that looks great! how did they dissasemble it to do that????????

·
8,978 Posts
I did it myself. I got a 3g 130amp off of ebay, it was in great condition, but I had to pull it apart to coat it, so I rebuilt it while I had it all apart, might as well. That way I know its good for a long time. I can do yours too, if you want.
-Thomas

edit: oh, you have a gun too I see. Well PM me if you want instructions.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just took another look under my hood and I swear the tensioner is already beside the alternator on my car! and it really looks like the idler is down below the compressor! WTF is up with that!

·
8,978 Posts
MN12BIRD said:
I just took another look under my hood and I swear the tensioner is already beside the alternator on my car! and it really looks like the idler is down below the compressor! WTF is up with that!
nah youre wrong, its the other way around.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does the idler pulley look JUST like a tensioner on an arm and everything?

·
8,978 Posts
MN12BIRD said:
does the idler pulley look JUST like a tensioner on an arm and everything?
yes, minus the internal spring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts