TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry this may be a dumb quest, but with disc brakes is it still necessary to run c clip eliminators when running a spool? I am just wondering if I will need to buy the eliminators when I purchase the spool for my 80 mustang.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, sorry about that LOL. This is in reference to a 1980 mustang with a 8.8.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
uh, why don't you ask some of the guys on a mustang forum in the fox body area

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
uh, why don't you ask some of the guys on a mustang forum in the fox body area
Sorry for asking a question here, figured you guys know your stuff just as well as anyone else does. Wont happen again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i think he just meant most of the people here just know irs and think they are the bees knees, personally i'm going to be switching to a straight axle on my bird in the near future

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
yeah what he said lol

very few people on here run solid axle. and if they do it is probably in a TC or a mustang

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you run a 4pc. mini spool you can use the c-clips. I ran one in my F150 for a little while. With a full spool you'll have to use the c-clip eliminators....or 9" tubes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
C clips

Another option (especially if it is easy to the the rear end out of the car, or it is out now) is to take it to a driveline shop and have the axle ends cut off and have 9" ends put on the 8.8. That way you can use 9" style bearings and do away with the axle as the bearing surface, and also eliminate the C clips.

I am considering that for an option on my full size bronco with 145K. Have not been able to determine if the 8.8 axle can be used by pressing on the 9" bearing on it rather than having to use 9" axles. Supposedly trucks are not supposed to use the C clip eliminators (or even street cars for that matter) because of the side loading.

First thing next Monday----or the Monday after that----or the----

1 - 10 of 10 Posts