TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:zsoapbox:
:zbash:
So, I get my 2yr smog check notice along with my registration, and take my car in to be checked. Now, I did remove my 3rd cat 4yrs ago in Florida, while I lived there, but my car was PASSED 2yrs ago when I moved to CA. Anyway, I take the car in and the guy sees my 13" Baer brakes up front, and I can see in his eyes that this check ain't gonna' be pretty. He took 40min doing JUST THE VISUAL INSPECTION! He was cross referencing almost every part on my car in his books! After that he did the tailpipe test which I passed with flying colors, but failed me for not having the 3rd cat, WHICH WAS ALREADY GONE ON MY FIRST INSPECTION!! So I did find out that a 'Smog Check Referee' can test the car, and pass it even though work has been done to it. I go in next Tuesday for the Referee test.
So it's gonna be $38 for the referee test and certificate, or A WHOLE LOT for a new cat. Wish me luck...

As much as I love San Diego, CA laws and regulations are seriously #^@% #%!!!

(steps off of soapbox and sighs...):(
Peter M

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I took off my 3rd cat and put in a high flow. Gutted my first 2 cats and I didn't pass. An open intake is an automatic fail also. I just went to downtown LA and they passed me easy. So I would say find another location outside the nice city. In other words find a getto and test it there. They wll always pass you for an extra $20

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah- That's probably the 3rd option. Problem is, my reg. is due on the 2nd and I'm running out of time.

Peter M

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have true duals, no 3rd cat, and no resonator. When they tested it, they put the sniffer into one pipe, not both... but my exhaust doesn't have an H-pipe or anything... are they only testing half the motor?

Passed with flying colors.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
you didn't mention the dyno. Are you in an "inhanced" area. We have to dyno in fresno. So are you a Gross polluter now? I usualy ask for a pre-test so if it doesn't pass i can walk, but if it does then they run it again and sebd the numbers. a smog here is $54.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Peter, what do you have to do in order to get a certificate with a smog check referee? My engine looks NOTHING like stock now, and I am pretty sure I will pass the sniffer test. I won't pass visual here in CA, though... not unless the dude's blind. I heard somewhere that if your engine is newer than your car, passing emissions is easier.

Let me know.

PJ

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
You can think all the rich assholes who put 93 octane in their cars that needed 89 for part of the tight restrictions in CA. The idiots ruined it for everone else.

·
Registered
529 Posts
go to one of the places in like imperial beach or national city area that are pass or they have to retest you later for free. They just want you to be within emissions they really don't care what you got.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're interested, I have a stock Y-pipe from a 95 T-Bird 4.6L. It has 7,000 miles on it and has been sitting in my garage since '96. You can have it and swap yours to get the test done then swap back if you like.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See- Here's the stupid thing. I DID pass the sniffer. Easily. But just because one of the cats was replaced with a 2-1 flowmaster resonator, he failed it. So, no I'm not a gross polluter, and yeah, it was on the dyno.
PJ-4.2L- from what I can tell, that's what the ref does. Because the engine is NOT stock, he is able to pass the car anyway.
DF- I cant put the Y-pipe on, cause the engine sticker says it came with 3 cats. Thanks tho.

Peter M.

·
Registered
343 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
the visual is so lame, what does it matter if it doesn't pollute. i thought that was the whole idea of a smog test. way to go CA:leftright

Man I love NH Live Free or Die is our state modo

and no sniffer tests either......

they just make sure the car is safe!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:rofl:
:headbang:

Yer killin me!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts