TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Three years ago, I had the K&N cone filter installed into the front fenderwell. You could not see it from opening the hood. Well, today, I jacked the car up, removed the tire, splash shield and the cone filter. It was REALLY dirty. I want to clean it and put it towards the front of the motor. (Right in front of the MAF, etc.) However, the cone filter is too long and wont fit. What do I need to do to make the cone filter fit in the front of the air intake, MAF, etc. (I want it setup the same way many people here have theirs set up) However, I don't want to cause any problems for the MAF (such as it not reading air temperature correctly)

I did not like the cone filter being in the fender because it was difficult to access and change, clean etc. I couldn't even see it from opening the hood. I need to set something up though before I can drive it any where and I don't want to have to install that big air box thing again. Basically, I want a CAI, but I want to be able to see it, change it, clean it, etc

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to work now, but I'll check back here later tonight. Thanks

Frank

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Two answers come to mind.

1) get a smaller (shorter) cone (I'm sure thats crossed your mind)

2) get a shorter tube from the MAF to the T/B. (or shorten the one you've got) That would move the MAF farther away from the front of the engine compartment and possibly give you more room for the longer filter.

One other thought. Once the filter is in the engine compartment it will no longer be a "cold air intake" unless you find a way to isolate it from the warm air under the hood. There are ways of doing this and there are numerous pics on this site of how to do it.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Cool Dude said:
What was used on these set ups? I might do one of these. These pics were taken right from the "car gallery" "intake" section......

Thanks.

Those are 94/95 4.6L CAI's

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
warmaster259 said:
Those are 94/95 4.6L CAI's

I wouldnt call those CAIs. The second appears to have some sort of rudimentary heat shield, but it isnt isolated from the engine compartment.

If you want to set yours up that way, its just a cone filter attatched to the MAF... thats it.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres my problem. The cone filter is too long. What kind of car has a shorter hose that I could use in order to fit my cone filter. Also, what do I do with the white sensor thing shown in the pic? It used to go into the square air box. I know theres some 3.8 pros here gang! thanks.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
well didnt ir just read the temp of the incomming air in the box? so if u basically attach it to the maf or maybe wire it down in the hole where the filter used to be so it reads the colder air and not the engine heat....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
my question is why do you still have the bottom of the stock intake box... and why would you want it out of the fender well, where it is definitely doing more good... i'd just leave it as is, you dont have to clean it that often, and its really not that hard... but, if you do decide to get another filter, pm me, i'd be interested in buying teh old one off of you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
:zwthstpd:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
sinhumane said:
my question is why do you still have the bottom of the stock intake box... and why would you want it out of the fender well, where it is definitely doing more good... i'd just leave it as is, you dont have to clean it that often, and its really not that hard... but, if you do decide to get another filter, pm me, i'd be interested in buying teh old one off of you.
LOL Man, and I thought I was a scavenger!!

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does anybody know what car would have a shorter air tube? I didnt like the air filter being in the fender because I couldn't get to it or clean it. I'm going to try something else but I need to know what kind of car would have a shorter air tube to where it would fit. (I'll be going to the junkyard Friday probably) I know most people here would leave it in the fender, but I want it in the front where I can get to it better. I also want to try something. Besides, most people here with CAI's have it set up in the front of the engine compartment. I havnt seen any other MN12 with the filter in the fender.

As for the air sensor thats hanging out, I havn't quite figured out what I'm going to do with it just yet, but I am opened to suggestions. Will I have to rig it up or what?

Sinhuman, I'm going to keep that K&N cone filter. I just need a shorter intake tube for it. That cone filter misses by like 3 inches.

Thanks

BTW-Just as a last resort, will the 3.8 CAI for the 3.8 Mustangs fit the Thunderbirds? I saw several of these on ebay for sale.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
well for one take out the bottom of the stock air box then u can maybe fit the filter under the beader pannel metal peice.

do that first then try to play with the filter and if still a no go maybe try cutting the tube back maybe an inch or so, depends on what u need.

·
Registered
958 Posts
do like i did and cut out enough from where the filter goes into the fender well and it is easy to access and still away from engine bay heat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts