TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bunch of research on this site, and got a lot of useful information, and i just have one question. is there somewhere where i may be able to find a good tube for my intake on my 95 tbird? ive read people saying that the stock intake is a cold air intake, and my air silencer is alredy removed, so if the stock intake is as good as people say it is, i dont want to spend a lot of money on a CAI. the reason im asking about the tubing (from the air box to the throttle body) is because i noticed that the plastic piece that goes from the airbox to the throttle body (the one that says V8 on it) seems to be very restrictive. where it passes over the fuel rail, it seems to be very skinny, about an inch, maybe inch and a half. i was wondering if anybody made a custom tube that would bolt up easy, and also that would clear the hood that way i can hopefully have a less restricted air flow. thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A long time ago when I had my original engine and was a little bored I modified the stock 'violin case'. I cut the portion out of the bottom where it pinched down and fiberglassed the hole back up. Take the intake tube off and you will see exactly where I am talking about. Did I open up the restriction while not creating a vacuum leak behind the maf sensor? Yes I did. Did it make the slightest bit of difference? No, but I was bored and didn't really know any better at the time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I replaced mine with a flexible intake tube that I found at AutoZone and attached it to a huge K&N cone filter that I dropped into the wheel well...didn't make a bit of difference. I think that if you're going to stick with natural aspiration then you're not going to find any performance increase from a higher flowing intake. I believe most of the guys on the forum will agree.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I replaced mine with a flexible intake tube that I found at AutoZone and attached it to a huge K&N cone filter that I dropped into the wheel well...didn't make a bit of difference. I think that if you're going to stick with natural aspiration then you're not going to find any performance increase from a higher flowing intake. I believe most of the guys on the forum will agree.
You also risk water aspiration if the filter is any lower than it is. Someone just blew their engine over that, they had a CAI low down.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes, I have had problems on both my 94 and 92 of water entering the stock airbox with the silencer removed. Also, I gutted my violin case also and siliconed pieces of rubber where the holes were made. It didnt do anything for performance, just made my box look even more ugly.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
If you really want a bolt-in tube made specifically for the 95, then find yourself a used RichardM tube. I have one on my 95 and it fits just fine.

Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts