TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i looked thru the intake gallery and all seem to be for V8's anyone do anything custom for a 3.8? i dont want to order parts off ebay or anything. im looking for pics of what people did on their own to give me some ideas

thanks for ANY help guys
Dean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?

·
Registered
958 Posts

cai on a 3.8
intake tube and filter from autozone
90 deg. rubber pipe from lowes
removed air silencer
can be done w/ stock rubber intake tube.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Check the custom engine gallery,There is a CAI on a 3.8L that looks real good.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mine's done exactly like the top picture on there, just a rubber elbow on the end of the MAFS, with a cone filter attached to the end. Works just fine, and never a problem.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
If you're looking for more power, just remove the air silencer and be done with it. The setup is already a "cool air intake" with just the silencer removed. You just won't have a fancy, shiny intake tube with cone filter.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I didnt even use a fancy shiny tube on mine, the elbow fits perfectly on the end of my MAF and down the hole. All I had to buy was the elbow and the filter.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have a cone filter, and a heat sheild out of plexiglass made, just made sence that the more smooth pipe is better than the bends and ripples in the rubber stock one. i know its a V6 and im not making much power but its also on looks too along with somewhat funtionality of it

·
Registered
900 Posts

ebay cai i had on my 3.8, bought a k&n to throw on the end of it, got that for 60 on ebay, worked great, had to fab up my own brackets and that little plate on the fenderwell, was from a seller called xanaduland, i dont think they exist anymore

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
well not a 3.8 but a 94-95 aluminum 4.6 manifold is one of the hardest to build. gives ya an idea. the 3" pipe was scavenged out of exhaust shop scrap bins and the foot of 3 ply hose cost me like 15$

·
Registered
900 Posts
honestly i really didnt notice a difference over removing air silencer and droppin in a k&n, there might have been an improvement but not enough to be noticible by the butt dyno, tho while moving the car would make a really cool whistling noise :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
thats because a stock 3.8 can breathe just fine thru a stock intake

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes but who leaves stuff stock even if it works fine?? ;) lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts