TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything special that needs to be done or is that just a nasty rumor and total falacy? Also... should I run a flip chip? Because isn't one of the things they check in CA timing? Won't advanced timing cause you to fail?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It does not advance the static inital timing, it advances the ramp on the timing curve. The chip changes the shift points and firmness also. I was more impressed with the firmness in the trans and when the coverter locked up than anything else.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any other CA owners have thoughts or experience with this? My biggest concern is that with the OBDII testing that they do when they smog the car will pick something up if I were to get a chip from Apten or Dennis (I know they're essentially the same chip.)

·
8,239 Posts
any altering of the eec or a chip will cause the eec to throw an "EEC ROM error" which is a stored code, not a MIL light.

JH

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Get your EEC reflashed by a dealer with SCT software instead of a chip, they can correct for that problem. :)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
Your point is only valid for 99+ vehicles. Since there are no 99+ MN12 tbirds, then your point is incorrect. I suggest you take your own advice.

A P0605 code only sets if you key on engine off self test. It it NOT a continous code that is monitored for. The pre-99 guys will get the code on KOEO test since it can't be turned off in those cars...

jerry
I have two vehicles with SCT Tuning, and both have the stored ROM error code.

JH

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Try reading the whole thread, not just parts of it.

DLF said:
Early on, with the EEC-Tuner, this was a problem, unless you added the necessary code to the "package".

I can tell you that on my 98 Cobra with the SCT chip, no codes come up on my AutoTap. And here in NJ, we already have the plug-in to the OBDII port emissions testing.

It's not a problem.
followed by:

SCT Guy said:
A P0605 code only sets if you key on engine off self test. It it NOT a continous code that is monitored for. The pre-99 guys will get the code on KOEO test since it can't be turned off in those cars...

jerry
Followed by:

justin00stang said:
In my dealer software that code is listed in a scalars subsection and I can turn it off.

P0605 Powertrain Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error
and

DLF said:
With David's GUI-EECTuner software and an EEC-Tuner, adding an "extra.eec" file containing "0x4195 0x00" solved the issue on my '98 Cobra.

Is this "fix" included in the SCT payload?
and

SCT Guy said:
No, but it can be added without too much problem. I'll get with David and figure out what he did....
This code doesn't even register when the enging is running, so it would be a non issue for all emissions tests where they test in that manner. Since most of the copies of this software already had it, and Jerry said he'd add it for others over 2 months ago, it's been done.

Illiteracy is such a problem in this country...

·
8,239 Posts
Silver95Bird said:

Illiteracy is such a problem in this country...
No need for flaming me. I never flamed you, I am just trying to state a point.

Here is my point. When you enter an OBD2 emissions test, they will want to run a KOEO (key on engine off), and a KOER (key on engine running) test in the eec for codes

If there is any stored codes in KOEO mode you fail, same thing for KOER mode.

With the version of tuning I have on my cars, both have this error. I have to talk my way out of it every single year.

It looks like they figured how to shut it off, which is good news, but this is brand new to me. Most of the tuned EEC's on this board will throw this code.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well when I went to the enhanced station where they dyno and 5 gas your car I had a piggy back ford chip. Passed KOEO and KOEO then it passed the sniffer too. I have never had a Check Engine light with the chip, or without with my 95 computer. I consider that similar to child abuse.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It should be fine as long as you have all 3 cats. The car is considered a ULEM ( ultra low emmisions vechical).

Mine was through fordchip. however I am too busy to get it reflashed to my new 95 computer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
so what about P0605 do they check for this in ca?i just got a little worried,i do not have the money to headswap back to my 94's or get another eec reflash.It took m e long enough for this engine build my money is way tight i only work 25 hours a week and have 2 kids and i go to college,but lets not get into all that

TOm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts