TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Whatsup guys I need to pass smog but currently I do not have a tune or chip? first heres my setup

99 PI motor swapped into a 94, Valvejob, 96 MAF, 96 TB, cobra airbox I figured since I got the stock maf and tb I could squeeze by the Referee, then bolt on my 85mm MAF and 75mm TB .The referee is my College Tune up teacher though but he would prob still flag me. Im out here in california and us CaliBoys know how they get

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don't go to the referee. Just go to a normal smog place and see what they say. Most of the time they can't tell the difference on a PI swap or the mods you have. I would throw on the stock air box and see if you can just go to a normal place

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I passed like the car was new , all I did was that I returned the car tune to stock and
I reinstalled the stock air box .

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
those mods shoudlnt be illegal. it's not against the smog laws to have a bigger maf. they only care if you remove such smog devices or buy a device that isnt smog certified.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
those mods shoudlnt be illegal. it's not against the smog laws to have a bigger maf. they only care if you remove such smog devices or buy a device that isnt smog certified.

One would think that but depends on the station. Any type of modification to the intake system and they can fail you on the visual inspection portion. I got flagged for an after market intake one year. I just think that these stations are all paranoid about having their license taken away for doing something wrong.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If I were you I'd just put my MAF into a modified stock housing, that's what I did to hide my GF's 70mm MAF for smog... I didn't have a stock MAF but I had the stock intake arm, so away I went.

Best,
Ghost

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
there not going to be able to tell the difference between the pi and npi motor. i doubt they will spot a aftermarket TB and just leave the stock maf and airbox on for the test and you will be fine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whatsup guys I need to pass smog but currently I do not have a tune or chip? first heres my setup

99 PI motor swapped into a 94, Valvejob, 96 MAF, 96 TB, cobra airbox I figured since I got the stock maf and tb I could squeeze by the Referee, then bolt on my 85mm MAF and 75mm TB .The referee is my College Tune up teacher though but he would prob still flag me. Im out here in california and us CaliBoys know how they get
I dont think there is a problem with running a newer motor as long as it has the smog devices, they dont like you using older motors! Would this happen to be Pierce collage?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
the thing is from the outside a Pi motor looks just like a npi motor. the only difference is the 94s had the older aluminum intake however i doubt unless you run into a smog guru they woulnt be able to tell the difference. i would just leave the exhaust/egr stuff/ and maf alone until after the test

·
Registered
511 Posts
As long as theres no obvious illegal parts like a cold air intake or headers, and all the smog components are hooked up correctly you should be fine.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I would run the mustang 85 mm mass air meter bolted to a stock box and a mustang intake tube or tbird one if you can get it to fit. I am sure satin has a special place for the smog inspectors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I passed smog with a CAI and kooks headers. The smog guy knew it was not the most legal, but he passed me because all my emissions stuff was still hooked up. Just go to one of those places that say "No pass, No pay". They will either take a look and say no or they will run it and pass it if every thing adds up on paper. Just as long as it falls into the parameters. Just remember some smog places are more strict than others so shop around. I went to 3 different places before I found one that would run my car.

As for the state referee I had to go to when the cops busted me. Well I had to take all that stuff off. He even made me replace my screamin demon coil packs and my aftermarket spark plug wires. So don't go to the referee unless you are forced to.

·
Registered
511 Posts
A CAI and kooks headers easily fail visual inspection but I guess not every smog tech is the most ethical person. As for the referee, they are as strict as a smog check can get. And theres always the idea of using smog legal performance parts but whats the fun in that.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
get the EO number off JBA headers if they give you crud slap the executive order number from the enviromental protection agency. They then have to accept them by law then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts