TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black tbird with black/chrome wheels and black interior (mostly)

Given that turquoise is kind of a vintage color for the tbird, and the feet of the tbird emblem in grill is also turquoise, I was thinking of painting my calipers turquoise as well.

My wife thinks I should stick with the black I've painted them already. I'm on the fence. On one hand I think it turquoise would look nice, but on the other I don't want it to look dated like a 1980's paint job :)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Be bold. Try turquoise. You can always go to black or grey later if you don't like it. (I say this assuming you have 4 wheel disks. If you have drums in the back, keep it low key with the color.) My $.02.

·
Registered
111 Posts
and take your time with the paint because I just sprayed mine on there with minor prep work a few years ago and it looks ghetto as all hell. Need to repaint them black the proper way one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I bought a set of powdercoated Red PBR's, and I really like the way they look.

But If I painted them, I'd have went bright Purple to match the backing plates. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
First what calipers do you have? If they are stock or pbr just leave them black. Don't bring attention to ugly calipers. Now if you have bermbos , willwood, bears, cobra have them powder coated silver with red lettering .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I have the stock calipers with drilled/slotted rotors. Going to stick with black for now, just painting them again to get glossier look.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've got a black car and I'm about to put on red powdercoated calipers w/ drilled and slotted rotors and it's gonna look great IMO......
I thought just the youngsters did those kind of things to a car? You don't have to drive a Japanese car to be a ricer.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I'm already running those on the tbird; but I'm no ricer.

Powerstop makes a nice kit; I'd recommend it.

I'd hate to think good brakes are rice...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good brakes don't equal painted brakes, a little understatement goes a long way.
The day I asked this question I brought my car to shop to get exhaust corrected. The guy that owns it was showing me his 48 Ford that originally belonged to his godfather.

His godfather went 1990's hot rod route on it. Painted it black/white/teal, removed all chrome, etc. It was ok in the pictures I saw but then seeing the car in person after it had been re-restored back to stock made me re-think what I was doing.

The car in it's restored stock form was much classier and impressive. So ya, like XR7-4.6 said....a little understatement goes a long way.

It's all subjective anyway, so to each their own.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I thought just the youngsters did those kind of things to a car? You don't have to drive a Japanese car to be a ricer.

Al
My calipers are red and I like them just fine. Granted, they're mostly hidden behind my ugly wheels, but if I ever get five spokes I'm not painting the calipers to make you feel better about yourself. It's a subtle accent.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's not just the red calipers. It's the combination of red calipers and drilled and slotted rotors. Unless it's aftermarket brakes, it's all for looks.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,481 Posts
Good grief the banner here to each there own.
Hey, the OP asked for 'thoughts' :tongue:

Painted calipers are pretty benign overall, but it's a super cheap way to make something *appear* expensive ...because Porsche and Ferrari... Think about it, until they started fitting fluorescent colored brembos to their cars NOBODY painted their brake calipers in rainbow colors, because it's a silly component to call attention to.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
...it's a super cheap way to make something *appear* expensive ...because Porsche and Ferrari... Think about it
Never thought of it that way. Still don't.

With new calipers I could either paint them, or have them become rusty. I thought red would look better than gray or black. I think blue would too. I wasn't thinking of Porsches or Ferraris or McLarens or Bugattis or Lamborghinis or Koenigseggs or about money or anything else. I was thinking red calipers make for a nice accent on a black car. Neon green would be tacky, IMO, but if you really like that color, I'm not going to ***** about it.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,481 Posts
Never thought of it that way. Still don't.

With new calipers I could either paint them, or have them become rusty. I thought red would look better than gray or black. I think blue would too. I wasn't thinking of Porsches or Ferraris or McLarens or Bugattis or Lamborghinis or Koenigseggs or about money or anything else. I was thinking red calipers make for a nice accent on a black car. Neon green would be tacky, IMO, but if you really like that color, I'm not going to ***** about it.
You missed the point. It's not whether YOU were influenced by them or not, painted calipers are part of the collective conscious of all of us because of them. They didn't become popular overnight in the 90s/00s because some 18 year old rattlecanned them on his Eclipse and took the world by storm. No, nobody was doing it before Porsche, and if it weren't for them trying to keep the aging 911 design interesting nobody probably would have thought to do so either, because it's a pretty arbitrary component to bling out, one that wasn't even that prominent when the fad started with the thicker spoked wheel designs of the time.

It's funny you brought in McLaren and Koenigsegg into the conversation, much of their more recent efforts have reverted back to boring black or silver calipers.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Like I said, if the Powerstop kit wasn't powdercoated red, they'd have been painted Purple.

I do **** my way; that flash of color under stock wheels is a nice touch.

:grin2:

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
1 - 20 of 25 Posts