TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I am considering re-installing the cut sport springs that my car had previously. Right now, it has 100% stock SC springs...

the car was a total pain in the ass when it was that low, but it had serious personality and appeal...now? It's just a boring old tbird...slammed, it's unique...

Other than that, what are the absolute lowest dropping springs I can buy? Eibach doesn't seem much different than stock...vogtland, well, they don't seem very low either...

and I've kinda looked around at baggedbirds.com but anybody ever bag their bird and live to tell about it?

It did handle really nice when it was super low....

then:

now:

No contest....(I think)

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,651 Posts
Do eet! the fact that you took a pic of it at the stock height from behind the trees says it all :tongue:

I'm using Tokico springs with 3/4 coil cut off which looks to be just under an inch taller or so than yours was with the cut sports, I've had no issues with rubbing or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
Do eet! the fact that you took a pic of it at the stock height from behind the trees says it all :tongue:

I'm using Tokico springs with 3/4 coil cut off which looks to be just under an inch taller or so than yours was with the cut sports, I've had no issues with rubbing or anything like that.
I agree with Matt, although I wouldn't want it as low as you originally had it. I prefer and recommend the Vogtlands.

Anyway, here are the cars for comparison.

Yours:

Matt's:

Mine on 1.6" Vogtlands:

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
I have the eibachs on my lincoln, and for a daily driver, they are great. They are a 1.5" drop, so about the same as the vogtlands would be. My front bumper does occasionaly scrape on steep driveways, but it certainly isn't low enough to be impractical, and the eibachs are a progressive spring, so they are actually softer than stock SC springs at first, but then get way stiffer as they compress, so for daily driving the car is still comfortable, but when you start throwing it through corners, it stiffens up and actually handles well. For a weekend only car, or a track car, I would want something stiffer, but for something you like to just cruise around in, they are great.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I like the low look. That low though would be a ***** trying to get around here with all the potholes. I'd love to drop mine as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Earl, how many coils were cut on those sports?

That's a bit lower than I want.

CrystalPistol used a formula of 1 turn in front, 5/8 turn in the rear, and it gives it a better stance, IMHO.

I'm thinking of modding my next set of Konis to have adjustable spring perches... And trimming the springs.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have eibachs also and I love em! Great ride and the drop is perfect IMO. Earl, put ur cut springs on the front and leave the stock ones in the rear.. I wanna see how it would look with the front slammed and rear raised.. Lol

·
Banned
241 Posts
personally, it looks ugly sitting that low.Looks like its sitting on shot springs,just my opionion.

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
... Earl, put ur cut springs on the front and leave the stock ones in the rear.. I wanna see how it would look with the front slammed and rear raised.. Lol
LOL now that would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
JeffTbird93 did a complete air conversion. More photos are on baggedbirds IIRC. He's the one who made me want to consider doing it again. Unfortunately I love the ability to play around with the height and raise and lower pressures and what not but I hate the reliability of air suspension. I'm not Rockefeller I can't afford to fix/replace bags/lines/compressors every two years or so on a daily driver. I love my tokico kit. 1 1/4" drop front and rear, my mark was lowered on 2" drop suspension techniques and while I loved the look the practicality sucked. If I could have afforded to replace the entire air suspension on the mark I would have installed a ray's switch and sensor lowered it and likely been done with it, but again with budget and practicality I just swapped it to springs instead. My $0.02 drop it but not that extreme. I'm not sure why your so set on the Stock hight, or scraping concrete status, find a happy middle ground.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...big thanks for the photos...I really like the h&r springs I think I might go with those...Chris, you have the tokiko springs? Do you have their shocks too?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
and I've kinda looked around at baggedbirds.com but anybody ever bag their bird and live to tell about it?

I know of a few birds still on air suspension. Most of the failed projects were not because the air system messed up - the owners just gave up on the rides like so many have done on countless other projects in the past.

When you keep things simple - use smaller airline, buy more efficient, reliable compressors .. it will last just as long as any factory installed air suspension ( 10-15 years .. rubber doesnt last much longer than that )

.. baggedbirds website is not up anymore.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Ok...big thanks for the photos...I really like the h&r springs I think I might go with those...Chris, you have the tokiko springs? Do you have their shocks too?
Yep. I have their shock and spring kit.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
JeffTbird93 did a complete air conversion. More photos are on baggedbirds IIRC. He's the one who made me want to consider doing it again.
Heh, just happened to be browsing through and caught this. I only had it bagged for a few months before I took all the stuff off and sold it to Blown38. I loved the car on air, but it just wasn't my thing after all (sucks it took me 2 months of work to figure that out). Layed out the car looked hot, and I could get a good 18" of ground clearance all the way up. I guess I was always paranoid about something going wrong on a long trip, and I kinda got bit by the racing bug again.

The car is on Intrax springs right now, and they look to sit a little lower than TM's car above. Personally, if you wanted to get rid of those cut sport springs, I'd take them off your hands if I knew I'd be ok up front.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My SC is lowered 3 inches. I love the way looks. But on the other hand big bumps do suck. But then again it handles so well. I like them lowered. I don't think I would go with 3 inch I would probably do a max of 2 inches.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts