TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need your oppinion on what cams you think i should run on my car. It has pi heads and intake and im gonna run boost(about 15psi) from a turbo. I want to be able to run it on the street still and i have 4.10s with a 2800 stall torque converter. I called comp cams and the tech said i should run the 278ah grind which is the biggest grind they have and looking at mags people with turbos are running the 262ah grind, which is the smallest grind, which is a big difference in lift at .050. Both i think has the same lobe sep. at 113. There is a middle grind too. Any suggestions will be great guys. Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you want a wide lsa. there are guys running 113 lsa's on a turbo setup. Most 2V mod motor turbo grinds are on a 115 lsa. With a turbo setup there will be high exhaust presure of course and having a close lsa will cause exhaust reversion. VT also makes a turbo grind and i think crower does too check them out as well. The sweet lsa for a 2V turbo cam is 115.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help man. Really appreciate it
Bryan

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Anytime just keep some updates on the project and I am no cam expert just make sure to alot of research and or check out theturboforums.com (turbomustangs.com) there are plenty of guys running big cams on turbo 2v setups.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
is this boost and pi heads on a stock block? if so your gambling with weak internals

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Real question is what RPM are you willing to take the motor too. You need some serious head porting and a different intake before getting 278 Comp cams IMHO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill def get some pics up to keep you guys updated. I am not running a stock bottom end. I am building the block with forged internals and i really dont wanna run high rpms. Id like to stay under 6 grand. I am shying away from the 278 b/c of the fact i think its way too steep and that its gonna be hard to pull vac for my brakes. I figured i would prob have to run hydro-boost if i went with them and i really dont wanna spend my money on that right now. I am currently in (soon graduating-3weeks baby) Nascar tech and will be moving soon to Penn. to go to School there were i got accepted into Audi academy. So i am tryinh not to kill myself with little things. Thanks for your help guys.
Bryan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah i will be upgrading my heads and intake manifold when i get back from the Academy. I need to prove some people wrong on this site. That is my goal.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Real question is what RPM are you willing to take the motor too. You need some serious head porting and a different intake before getting 278 Comp cams IMHO.
there is no need for huge porting with boost. Your talking of a NA motor. Comp cams dont need serious port volumes they have near stock lift values but longer duration with steep ramp angles. In fact you dont even need aftermarket cams to break 500rwhp but they cant hurt...welll only your idle vaccum. There are plenty of guys running stock heads/stock intakes with big cams making huge numbers with boost. The motor dosent have to be free breathing at high rpms its being forced with air.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
there is no need for huge porting with boost. Your talking of a NA motor. Comp cams dont need serious port volumes they have near stock lift values but longer duration with steep ramp angles. In fact you dont even need aftermarket cams to break 500rwhp but they cant hurt...welll only your idle vaccum. There are plenty of guys running stock heads/stock intakes with big cams making huge numbers with boost. The motor dosent have to be free breathing at high rpms its being forced with air.

Boost pressure is also a measurement of airflow restriction. I have happened to have worked with a "couple" of boosted mod motors. Stock 2V heads/intake with 15lbs are maxing out near 5000RPM unless you cam the hell out of it, or fix the first real problem (airflow choking). You screw up a port job on a N/A car you will really kill the power, with boost you can do alot more beneficial mods especially with the 2V heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts