TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be an option on my 1997 4.6

There is a tool that let's you change cams with out pulling the
front cover - The article was relating to bolt on cam gears .

Can this also be applied to pressed on gears ??

Curt

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
no way that would work with the pressed on sprockets though....but yeah there is a tool. Would be a great time saver... Really if you think about it you could make a tool like that fairly easily yourself
-Rob

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It can be done, but the price you might pay is pretty high, if a mistake is made... it was considered when my cams were changed, and just wasnt worth it, plus while youre in there why not put in newchains? inspect tensioners , just in case, and start her up with a feeling of confidence....turned out that the sprockets were press on anyhow...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leland Jacobson said:
It can be done, but the price you might pay is pretty high, if a mistake is made... it was considered when my cams were changed, and just wasnt worth it, plus while youre in there why not put in newchains? inspect tensioners , just in case, and start her up with a feeling of confidence....turned out that the sprockets were press on anyhow...
Car has less than 50k - bought new - well maintained - I doubt much wear or
enough to change anything has occured .

Thanks Curt

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - Clean Pic - man will that save time:ztoohot:

Curt

·
8,239 Posts
call dan newman, he sells a tool, not sure if thats what you need but I would buy it from dan before I bought it from that idiot anderson.

JH

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i still dont get how it works nor how much i would trust it!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smokymance said:
i still dont get how it works nor how much i would trust it!

It works with only bolt on cam gears - If by chance I screw up Oh Well - I would
just have to do the long way then :leftright

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
are the stockers bolt on?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea the stockers are bolt on....only the 99-00 GT motors were windsor, and thus press-sprockets

it works like this: the timing chains under tension....because there are ratcheting tensioners putting tension on the timing chain guides to take up slack.......the wedge end of the cam tool slide in between the the chains at the narrowest spot..........with it in place, the cam sprocket can be slid off the cam with out the tensioners ratcheting in......thus the sprockets maintains its place and doesnt sink downwards......with the new cams in place and secured, the sprocket can be put back on, and the wedge can be removed...voila! :)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i dont know the bottom design of the tool but basicly its this concept...right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts