TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not 100% sure of the name of them but they hold the cam to the heads... a pair of them in each head..

I was wondering what TQ they are suppose to be down to? And if it would cause problems if they werent TQ'd down to spec.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
if they arent all torqued the same, it might cause problems...i dont know for sure though.

they are supposed to be torqued to 89 inch lbs. they break easily btw.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
There is a sequence they need to be tightened in, I'm looking for my Ford CD, I think it's either at home or at work, my other one is in my garage laptop, I'll try to post the pics for ya....

·
Registered
237 Posts

Position camshaft on cylinder head. Apply oil to journals and lobes of camshaft.

Install and seat camshaft bearing caps. Hand-start 14 bolts.

NOTE: Each camshaft bearing cap is tightened individually.

Tighten camshaft bearing cap retaining bolts in sequence to 8-12 Nm (71-106 lb-in).

Loosen 14 camshaft bearing cap retaining bolts approximately two turns or until head of bolt is free.

NOTE: Camshaft should turn freely with a slight drag.

Retighten all bolts in sequence to 8-12 Nm (71-106 lb-in).

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
If they're not torqued properly/evenly, then your cams are going to walk in (for lack of a better term) their bearing races. Double.. nay.. tripple check those babies. It might not hurt to get ack in there tthe next time you do an oil change and check again.

Also.. that bit about slight drag... that'll be true if you get the chains on and hand crank the enging.. but I couldn't turn the camshafts themselves for the life of me.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
Also.. that bit about slight drag... that'll be true if you get the chains on and hand crank the enging.. but I couldn't turn the camshafts themselves for the life of me.
I was able to turn mine, but there was tension (valve springs), this is without the chains of course....

·
Registered
237 Posts
I only quoted part of the service manual above there. After those steps they move onto installing the rockers. So at that point there is nothing pushing on the cams.

If you would like I can copy and host the full page.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
KrAzyT said:
any idea if this would make my exhaust vavle stay closed?
No, you'd sooner destory the cam, the crank would overpower the cam.

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
KrAzyT said:
any idea if this would make my exhaust vavle stay closed?
If your exhaust valve isnt opening, check your rockers. Take the valve cover off and watch the suspected cylinder to see if the cam is rolling on it like it should be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts