TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Bear with me, as my son is pulling the codes for my 1996 Bird, and I will have them to look over**

While I was at the dealer, they told me my car had O2 and Cam Position sensor codes that needed attention. They were telling me that the O2 sensors are bad because I need new catalitic converters, and they said my cam shaft position sync needs replacing. They fortified their recommendations by saying that the cam sync's were known for going bad by coming apart in these old 3.8L engines...

Fine! I purchased a handheld computer to read the codes for myself, and yes, there are multiple O2 and Cam sensor codes burned into the cars computer. My car is being repaired at the moment for other issues, so I have not pulled any parts to check for damage, specifically the cam sync... But I was wondering if maybe just replacing the cam sync would clear most, if not all of the codes...(?)

**Again, my son is pulling the codes of the handheld and will emaul them to me, and then I can post them for better clarification of the issues at hand**

Without proper input from the cam sensor, I imagined the last command given to the injectors could be causing a lean condition, which is setting off the O2 sensors. Regardless, the motor runs great as is, but gets sub-par gas mileage...

**Will post the specific codes in a little while**

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the codes my handheld extracted from from the car's computer...

P0340
Camshaft Sensor but could be anywhere in the circuit.

P1443
Something wrong with the Evaporation Purge Valve.

P0155
Front Oxygen Sensor Bank 2.

P0161
O2 Sensor 2 Bank 2 Low Voltage.

P1131
O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1.

P1151
HO2S Sensor 1 Bank 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts