TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing is not advancing after my build, replaced the control module and pickup. The next step is to see if it is the chip, or the ECM. The problem is the cam supplier says that I need a chip. What will happen if I pull the chip and use the stock ECM without a chip?

Thanks for any input.
Curt.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
You might tend to stall out when coming to a stop, and you might smell raw fuel dumping out the exhaust at idle, but you certainly won't cause any damage running it without a tune, as long as you haven't changed the MAF or injectors or anything like that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have 30# injectors. I'm not planning on driving the car, just trying to find the problem. Just didn't know if there could be other problems other than driveability.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
That is double the stock size, so no it won't really run without the chip. What exactly do you mean when you say the timing "doesn't advance"?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't move from the base set. The only way it will run is when the base timing is at 38 degrees.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It doesn't move from the base set. The only way it will run is when the base timing is at 38 degrees.
man that's not right. are you sure the mechanical timing is set up right. timing marks on the timing chain lined up correctly at assembly, or cam sprocket not bolted on right or pin sheared?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
What mods are done to the car aside from the cam and injectors?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The only way the timing wont be controlled by the EEC is if the SPOUT conector is un plugged

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cam, 30# injectors, larger valves, porting, headers, dual exhaust, SCT chip, ARP head studs, stronger valve springs, EGR delete, air silencer removed, Spectre air filter. I think thats it. The cam is a Comp # 44-703-9.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Assuming stock compression, you should be able to get the car to at least run if you reinstall the stock injectors and MAF. The correct idle airflow will take a little time to be learned by the PCM, but it should run well enough that you can at least gauge if there's any spark advance without the chip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts