TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a price tag on this thing and when will they be available?
ME WANT ONE OR TWO:cbones:

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I doubt you will see them anytime soon and from what I was told the swap would be well over 15K on an MN12.

Larger cylinders (94mm vs. 90.2mm) for 5.0 liters of piston displacement
Flanged cylinder liners
Reinforced crankcase web areas
Forged pistons
11.0:1 compression ratio
Ported heads
Higher-lift cams (12mm vs. 10mm)
Beehive-shaped valve springs to accommodate the higher lift
Modified roller-finger followers
Multi-layer steel-insert head gaskets
Higher-flow fuel injectors
3-piece cast-magnesium variable geometry intake manifold
Higher-flow, dual-cone-spray fuel injectors

And six different engine harness's to chose from (Oh joy!) A CR of 11.0:1 would scare me away from installing a blower ontop of that beast (or on the front/side) and a year down the road I'd want to so I'd say pass.

-Scott

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I doubt you will see them anytime soon and from what I was told the swap would be well over 15K on an MN12.

Larger cylinders (94mm vs. 90.2mm) for 5.0 liters of piston displacement
Flanged cylinder liners
Reinforced crankcase web areas
Forged pistons
11.0:1 compression ratio
Ported heads
Higher-lift cams (12mm vs. 10mm)
Beehive-shaped valve springs to accommodate the higher lift
Modified roller-finger followers
Multi-layer steel-insert head gaskets
Higher-flow fuel injectors
3-piece cast-magnesium variable geometry intake manifold
Higher-flow, dual-cone-spray fuel injectors

And six different engine harness's to chose from (Oh joy!) A CR of 11.0:1 would scare me away from installing a blower ontop of that beast (or on the front/side) and a year down the road I'd want to so I'd say pass.

-Scott
Scott:

Sorry, I'm not really educated on the internals of engines and how strong certain things are....but Scott, how did they reinforce the block if they bored the cylinders out to increase the displacement to 5.0L?

The Modular was designed for front wheel drive vehicles, right? (why???) anyway, doesnt that change the cylinder wall size, or am I mistaken? Did they use some kind of reinforced sleeves (spelling?)? Or is that what you mean by 'Reinforced crankcase web areas'

sorry...I'm confused on the cylinder/piston size issue w/ Modulars.

As for the compression ratioL I think it makes for one hell of a naturally aspirated monster. However, most people that would buy it, myself included, think along the same lines as you Scott: FORCED INDUCTION! I guess some custom dished pistons would be needed...?

And THIS is why I cannot wait till I graduate. I'm gonna take my degree, shove it in my arse, and go get an ME degree, and ASE certified. :)

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
i have heard about that engine . but my question is y would u want that in ur mn12?
u cant supercharge it caz it had a high c/r it will cost alot
o yea maybe u want to be different
build a 4.6 and s/c and then u'll see
just do it right .

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Jurgen said:
i have heard about that engine . but my question is y would u want that in ur mn12?
u cant supercharge it caz it had a high c/r it will cost alot
o yea maybe u want to be different
build a 4.6 and s/c and then u'll see
just do it right .
why would you need to supercharge it? Its already got a isht load of horsepower and torque... if you got the money, why not get it - like you said..be different

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
96-3.8lx said:

why would you need to supercharge it? Its already got a isht load of horsepower and torque... if you got the money, why not get it - like you said..be different
u can be different but like soctt said it wont be cheap to drop in a mn12 and with 15k
think how much hp u can make with a 4.6 build and a s/c
and i heard that this engine will have like 400 hp or more or less i am not sure with 15k
u can make more then 400hp

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I think it comes down to being different. Its like the people who build street rods, and drop in a Cadillac Northstar DOHC instead of your average SBC. Why, to be a bit different. Oh well, different strokes for different fokes. It also goes to the guys who've built AC Cobra replicas but dropped in a Viper V10. the Viper crate motor is $16,000. And thats for just he crate motor, you still gotta make it fit in the car!

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
why would you need to supercharge it?
When I was finishing up the supercharger install on my car at a local shop a Henassey Venom Viper was in the next bay getting a NX Nitrous kit. When I was there wrenching away the owner landed his helicopter in the empty lot next to the shop and I asked him the same question and he told me "It's not that I need more Horsepower, I want it." It was like some weird movie and I'll never forget it.

My last engine combo was a high CR (11.4:1) N/A setup and was fun but not enough power to keep my heavy foot happy. I think you close the door to options down the road with a high CR N/A motor but if that's what you want go for it. My motor is built to handle upwards of 25 lbs of boost so I have the means to build an insane race car if I wanted to. I feel it's a better choice and more versatile to keep the Compression Ratio blower friendly (8.5:1) so in the future you can switch it up. The cammer motor is geared more towards the custom rod crowd.

-Scott

This was not the Venom Viper but a normal one getting a Wilwood brake kit. I spent many long nights at that shop in seriously uncharted terror-tory raising FrankenCougie from the dead.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:

When I was finishing up the supercharger install on my car at a local shop a Henassey Venom Viper was in the next bay getting a NX Nitrous kit. When I was there wrenching away the owner landed his helicopter in the empty lot next to the shop and I asked him the same question and he told me "It's not that I need more Horsepower, I want it." It was like some weird movie and I'll never forget it.

My last engine combo was a high CR (11.4:1) N/A setup and was fun but not enough power to keep my heavy foot happy. I think you close the door to options down the road with a high CR N/A motor but if that's what you want go for it. My motor is built to handle upwards of 25 lbs of boost so I have the means to build an insane race car if I wanted to. I feel it's a better choice and more versatile to keep the Compression Ratio blower friendly (8.5:1) so in the future you can switch it up. The cammer motor is geared more towards the custom rod crowd.

-Scott

This was not the Venom Viper but a normal one getting a Wilwood brake kit. I spent many long nights at that shop in seriously uncharted terror-tory raising FrankenCougie from the dead.
i know what u mean scott i would like to be different if i had alot of money
but i dont most of the people here that have 11's 12's birds cats have nice jobs and r not 19 or 18
but i dont really care about that engine a build 4.6 with a s/c is what i will do as the time comes
i am lucky i guess that i have The Man here and he helps me when i need help and as the time comes i'll get there
JP . we will see how many mn12's r going to have this cammie engines or whatever

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
in theory, couldnt you custom build a 4.6 so that it is a low CR 5.0? but what problems would you run into? imagine the higher displacement, OHC's (maybe two.. hehe), and blower friendly... -greg

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep 15k is a little pricey but I like the fact that it made for power from all aspects and shoud be very reliable. I dont like spending my week ends fixing **** that has been tweeked beyond all reasonable aspects. I used to own nothing but GM`s so im used to things blowing up. If the price is under 10k I might do it:zdevil:

·
Registered
191 Posts
okay I know I'm late to the party here (got married and went on a honeymoon); but I've read a few things about the cammer 5.0 engine and since reading this thread, I'm totally confused. Is there going to be two different 5.0 engines out...I've read about a modified 4.6 engine that will be 5.0 but it was a low CR and no where near $15k. The one you guys are talking about seems nothing like the ones I've been reading about. (and no the 5.0 I'm talking about is not a pushrod engine) Please direct me to some info on this....help me.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
WolfgangNC said:
okay I know I'm late to the party here (got married and went on a honeymoon); but I've read a few things about the cammer 5.0 engine and since reading this thread, I'm totally confused. Is there going to be two different 5.0 engines out...I've read about a modified 4.6 engine that will be 5.0 but it was a low CR and no where near $15k. The one you guys are talking about seems nothing like the ones I've been reading about. (and no the 5.0 I'm talking about is not a pushrod engine) Please direct me to some info on this....help me.
You might be thinking about <a href="http://www.modularperformance.com/bigbore.asp">This</a> instead of the Ford one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts