TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, me and a few friends are going on a camping trip in the desert on spring break. I plan on taking my 1990 Chevy Good Times van. I want to fix a few things on it before the trip. One, I need a new water pump (Which I'll probably just be going to O'Reilley's to get). I also want to get a decent system in it, but I don't want to spend very much. It's got worn out speakers and a tape deck. I don't know much about sound systems, so if somebody could point me to a cheap, yet good system I'd appreciate it. Plus just some overall pointers for going out in the desert. Obviously we're bringing lots of water. Thanks

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
one, you need a cd player
two, you need some speakers
three, big systems are a no-no unless you have a way to recharge your battery, or get a jump, found this out the hard way a long time ago.

i'll look and seee what size speakers your van uses and offer some suggestions after while. later'z...:D

ummm, according to crotchfield, you only have speakers in dash and front door, right? for some reason that doesn't sound right, i thought the vans had rear speakers, do me a favor and tell me how many and what size speakers your van has and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, it's late and I don't feel like going out there now. There are two rear speakers too. I'll check em out tomorrow. Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
so i am gussing this is a conversion van?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, if everything goes as planned, there might be some action with some ladies. I'm going to go measure the speakers now.....

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
five? for the rear? are sure they aren't 6 1/2's?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay yeah, I think you're right. I didn't have much time and just slapped a ruler to the cover, but I took it off today and it appears to be 6" even? Here's the specs

FUJITSU TEN

SG-1631 esp-16ra-1007
High fidelity coaxial 2way speaker
4ohms NOM. 20W Music 60W

Thinkin maybe these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-PIONEER-TS-A1671R-6-1-2-6-3-4-3-way-Speakers-NEW_W0QQitemZ5849440170QQcategoryZ58027QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-6-1-2-Speakers-NEW_W0QQitemZ5852015567QQcategoryZ58027QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe I should post this in the audio section? If anybody has any extensive speaker knowledge, I'd appreciate an opinion. Just looking for the best bang for my buck. Thanks

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
you can prolly hit up wally world for either the bolt audio or the pioneer 6 1/2" coaxials, the bolts are around 40 a pair and the pioneers are around 50 a pair, if you want to be able to buy them local, but if you go online you can find some awesome deals. i found some that look decent on ikesound, look here, they got some nice deals on 6 1/2" coaxials, i would go with the 4 way pioneers 48 bux, the alpine type s two ways 48 bux, or maybe the two way blaupunkts for 22 bux, the blaupunks might be a good deal, but it has been a while since i last used them, dunno if they are still as good as they used to be,

for the dash, you can go with the 3 1/2 coaxials, or the 4x6 coaxials, the 3 1/2 speakers will be cheaper, but if i was going with dash speakers i'd go with the 4x6's just for the heck of of it, look here for the 4x6's, the blaupunk 2 ways for 31 bux look good, and the kicker 4x6's for 33 bux look even better, but remember, ikesound is crazy sometimes for their shipping charges,

as for cd players there are alot of deals, are you particular to one brand of stereo?

and the first link you posted the speakers are okay, but in the second one those speakers suck. lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol that's cool. I don't know anything about speakers really. I have a $20 gift certificate to best buy, so I'll probably get the rears $50 pioneers there. I think I will go with 4X6's in the dash, cause I have some in the bird and I like em alot. As for the cd player, I'm not sure yet. I mainly listen to the radio, so I think I'll just get a cassette adapter and have a portable cd player in there for when I want them. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well, the dash isnt as easy to pull to replace the speakers as you might think in that van, i opted to cut out the doors and put 6 inch rounds in it, the rears in my 89 were 6 inch rounds, i replaced them with 6x9 's

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I wasn't gonna do the dash ones for a while, if at all. They sound decent, it's the ones in the back that suck so bad. I pulled them and the cone was all tore up on them.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts