TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question....if I do the PI swap....can I run different cams? Just wondering. As I keep working on my cougar, I'm getting more and more confident on how to work on it. And my skill is building, I feel up for a swap challenge. So I would like to have some different cams if i'm going to go at it haha.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok then....so a few testimonials :) What cams seem to give the most gain and sound? I am sure a lot of you have different cams...and I know certain ones do certain things, I am looking at power gain mainly. Any recommendations? What should i look for?

·
5,650 Posts
Cam selection is going to be dependent on a lot of other factors. Most cams make more power in the upper RPM range, sacrificing low-end torque which is critical to get these heavy cars moving. You have to consider your entire package. Are you going to change the gears in the differential? What torque converter will you run? If you are leaving those items stock, then going with anything more than a mild cam will be a bad idea.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
So, pretty much a good "down low" cam is the stock one?:2huh:

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Stage 1 cams tend to give you the Low end torque and not much gain up high. Stage 2 gives you the mid to high range but loose at the bottom. BUT Hitech's Stage II cams seem to preserve some of the down low torque. So far I think they are the best N/A cams that you can buy other than going custom grind.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I decide to go with the 3.73 rear diff....would Hitech's Stage II be good for me?
I do like low end torque... even a mid-high might be good. Just a list as such from someone would be awesome

*Low End*
- Cam blah blah
- Cams bler bler
*Middle/Mid-High*
-cams a
-cams b
*High End*
-Cams a
- cams b

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
only rookie b!tches think of cams in stage 1 and stage 2

more like ranges.. not stages.. stages would imply the 2nd cams are better than the first... not if your power setup is in the first range

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Don't listen to James he's gay :p. I would definitely agree on the Converter. I think I am going with a 4K stall, and keeping my 3.73's.
if you are gonna stay N/A or go centri blower you wanna stall up near 3k+ so you should be ok, since most times the power band is mid-high

if you gonna go roots blower, you want the stall a little lower since torque starts right away

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well with the cost of me doing a PI swap or NPI swap...I might end up throwing a different engine in the cougar, maybe a Mach I DOHC 32 Valve. I can get way bigger cams in that too! And a Kenne Bell (My dream charger haha)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am about to do the PI swap and putting in Comp XE262H cams because I got a good deal on them. They are for the NPI, work within the stock springs range and pretty mild which suits my street car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts