TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently down at Bumbera's (those of you in Houston should know the place) and was asking them some questions about putting a set of cams in my 'Bird. The guy I was speaking with told me the car's computer would not like the new sticks, and I would have either too high or a really crappy idle, along with loss of a/c (????) and power brakes. I already tried the search, and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Any help?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Blade Runner,

Any time you make a change to your engine which drastically changes airflow (things like different intake manifold, hotter cams, larger MAF, etc), you'll need to have it tuned, but some of the other stuff is crap. I have Comp XE274H cams in my big bore, and yes, the idle speed needs to be higher and the idle is not as smooth, but my A/C and power brakes work just fine

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
A crower2 along with a god tune will allow you to have everything you want. The guy you talked to should not be given any money to work on your car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im running the Crower stage 2 cams no problems really. Idle suck and when you turn on the accesories it drops. Didnt get it turned for the cams yet either.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've been running comps npi stage 2s for years now with out tune. Performance would however be a lot better with a tune.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
what u guys doing with the springs?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
954.6tbird, you need springs if you're gonna do cams on a pre-96 head......i regret not doing springs when i had the heads off the car......a good set of springs is always a good idea even on a mild N/A motor with cams that will see higher RPMs than the stock computer allows

you'd have to keep the valve lift at or below 0.500" with pre-96 F4 heads.....even if you upgrade springs, there isnt enough clearance for more lift than that, so you could go with a Comp low-lift set, or have Crower custom grind you a set for lower lift

i honestly dont know how Trick_Bird is running those Crower Stage 2's on his 95 heads, so we'll just have to ask him

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've been running the comp low lift stage 2s for 3 years now (about 50K on them) with no issues on a completely stock 95 motor. Ive had great luck with the stock ecu working with them some people don't have good luck getting the setup to run right. I've got by with tricking the computer but soon I'll be able to tune the setup. It lopes pretty good and I have been running stock converter, 3.08s and so on up until now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts